Mailing List Archive

Network module autoloading problem
Has anyone seen a problem where the network modules won't autoload? I have

alias eth0 tulip

in /etc/modules.d/aliases, and after running modules-update it appears
in both /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf, but when I do a

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start

it says it can't find the device. I have to do a

modprobe eth0

and then the module loads (and hotplug starts the interface for me).

I can work around this by adding "tulip" to
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, but then the interface is started
early in the boot, then shut down, and then restarted again when the
default runlevel gets to it (and in at least one case, I've seen it shut
down and not restart, with no messages at all - it's like it's shut down
but is still marked as up, so when it tries to start it again it thinks
it's already up and ignores it).

This is with gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r1, baselayout 1.11.4.

Thanks!

Re: Network module autoloading problem [ In reply to ]
Shouldn't you have /etc/modules.d/tulip with

alias eth0 tulip

in it? At least that's how I describe my NICs. For example my firewall uses:

/etc/modules.d/3c59x ........ alias eth0 3c59x
/etc/modules.d/via_rhine .... alias eth1 via_rhine

That works just fine for me.

Manuel McLure schrieb:
> Has anyone seen a problem where the network modules won't autoload? I have
>
> alias eth0 tulip
>
> in /etc/modules.d/aliases, and after running modules-update it appears
> in both /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf, but when I do a
>
> /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
>
> it says it can't find the device. I have to do a
>
> modprobe eth0
>
> and then the module loads (and hotplug starts the interface for me).
>
> I can work around this by adding "tulip" to
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, but then the interface is started
> early in the boot, then shut down, and then restarted again when the
> default runlevel gets to it (and in at least one case, I've seen it shut
> down and not restart, with no messages at all - it's like it's shut down
> but is still marked as up, so when it tries to start it again it thinks
> it's already up and ignores it).
>
> This is with gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r1, baselayout 1.11.4.
>
> Thanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Heinz Sporn

SPORN it-freelancing

Mobile: ++43 (0)699 / 127 827 07
Email: heinz.sporn@sporn-it.com
heinz.sporn@utanet.at
Snail: Steyrer Str. 20
A-4540 Bad Hall
Austria / Europe

Re: Network module autoloading problem [ In reply to ]
Heinz Sporn wrote:
> Shouldn't you have /etc/modules.d/tulip with
>
> alias eth0 tulip
>
> in it? At least that's how I describe my NICs. For example my firewall
> uses:
>
> /etc/modules.d/3c59x ........ alias eth0 3c59x
> /etc/modules.d/via_rhine .... alias eth1 via_rhine
>
> That works just fine for me.

As far as I know, it doesn't really matter where the alias line is, as
long as it ends up in the modules.conf/modprobe.conf after running
modules-update, though I may be mistaken.

--
Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <manuel@mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,

Re: Network module autoloading problem [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:34:14 -0700, Manuel McLure <manuel@mclure.org> wrote:
> Has anyone seen a problem where the network modules won't autoload? I have
>
> alias eth0 tulip
>
> in /etc/modules.d/aliases, and after running modules-update it appears
> in both /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf, but when I do a
>
> /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
>
> it says it can't find the device. I have to do a
>
> modprobe eth0
>
> and then the module loads (and hotplug starts the interface for me).
>
> I can work around this by adding "tulip" to
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, but then the interface is started
> early in the boot, then shut down, and then restarted again when the
> default runlevel gets to it (and in at least one case, I've seen it shut
> down and not restart, with no messages at all - it's like it's shut down
> but is still marked as up, so when it tries to start it again it thinks
> it's already up and ignores it).
>
> This is with gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r1, baselayout 1.11.4.
>
> Thanks!
Are you running udev ?
Do you have RC_DEVICE_TARBALL set to "no"?

Udev doesn't pay much attention to entries like
alias xxx yyy
It relays completly on hotplug.

I have RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes" on my system.
For some modules I found it nesecary to insert them and reboot (so the
/dev entries
would get saved to /lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2).
Only then would they get properly inserted, when needed.

--
Regards
Karol Krzak

Re: Network module autoloading problem [ In reply to ]
krzaq wrote:

> Are you running udev ?
> Do you have RC_DEVICE_TARBALL set to "no"?

Yes, and yes. However, I understood that ethernet devices didn't appear
in /dev - in fact in my currently working system there's no ethX devices
in /dev.

In any case, I resolved this by loading the eth modules in
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, and by applying the following patch
to /etc/hotplug/net.agent so it wouldn't start the net devices when they
were inserted if they're supposed to be started in a specific runlevel:

*** /etc/hotplug/net.agent.orig 2004-09-25 14:17:46.000000000 -0700
--- /etc/hotplug/net.agent 2004-10-26 09:43:47.631675436 -0700
***************
*** 68,77 ****
--- 68,85 ----
debug_mesg invoke ifup $INTERFACE
exec /sbin/ifup $INTERFACE

# Gentoo
elif [ -f /etc/gentoo-release ]; then
+ # ignore any interfaces that will be brought up by scripts
+ # in a runlevel
+ for rlevel in /etc/runlevels/*; do
+ if [[ -e ${rlevel}/net.${INTERFACE} ]]; then
+ debug_msg skipping interface ${INTERFACE} - in
runlevel
+ exit 0
+ fi
+ done
script=/etc/init.d/net.$INTERFACE
if [ -x "$script" ]; then
debug_mesg invoke \"$script\" --quiet start
exec "$script" --quiet start
fi

Re: Network module autoloading problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:29:08 -0700, Manuel McLure <manuel@mclure.org> wrote:
> krzaq wrote:
>
> > Are you running udev ?
> > Do you have RC_DEVICE_TARBALL set to "no"?
>
> Yes, and yes. However, I understood that ethernet devices didn't appear
> in /dev - in fact in my currently working system there's no ethX devices
> in /dev.
ARgghh! You're 100% right ! ... Need to get more sleep.
Great that it works.

--
Regards
Karol Krzak