Mailing List Archive

emerging latest baselayout => devfsd & password pbs
Hi all :)

Version 1.10.3 was installed and sysvinit too. I wanted to emerge the latest
version so I unmerge sysvinit because It was blocking baselayout.
I emerged baselayout-1.11.3 and then ... it screwed up my passwords.

Fortunately, I was already logged under root, so I changed was able to reset
it using passwd.
I tried to do the same for my everyday user (gabo), but it doesn't work :

gabo@gabo ~ $ passwdSo
Changing password for gabo
(current) UNIX password:
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

The only workaround I found is under root : passwd -d gabo

Then, when I rebooted, gentoo didn't boot anymore because of /dev/hda2 being
not fount. It seems that devfsd isn't started anymore because when pressing
ctrl+d to be logged as root (debug mode), /dev/hda2 (and all other /dev
devices) apears again when manually starting devfsd.

I don't know how to edit gentoo startup sequence but I searched the /dev
directory and found this : /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/partX where X
equals /dev/hdaX

So... booting with gentoo 2004.2 livecd (since / is readonly when in debugging
mode). Editing my /etc/fstab replacing /dev/hdaX
with /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/partX

Great !!! My Gentoo works again !! It took me two hours to find that ! :(

But there is no more password for gabo (I absolutely need a password) and I
can't login as root under konsole using 'su'. (it does work in pure console
mode).

gabo@gabo ~ $ su
Password:
su: Permission denied
Sorry.

So, what's hapening ? Why does devfsd does not start automatically at startup
anymore ? How can I fix those passwords issues ?

Thanks for your help !

Gael Beaudoin

Re: emerging latest baselayout => devfsd & password pbs [ In reply to ]
On Monday October 25 2004 17:27, Gael Beaudoin wrote:
> Hi all :)
>
> Version 1.10.3 was installed and sysvinit too. I wanted to emerge the
> latest version so I unmerge sysvinit because It was blocking baselayout.
> I emerged baselayout-1.11.3 and then ... it screwed up my passwords.
>
> Fortunately, I was already logged under root, so I changed was able to
> reset it using passwd.
> I tried to do the same for my everyday user (gabo), but it doesn't work :
This sounds like the same issue I'm working on. It did happen with 1.1.13
also.

I still cant get a good boot. I think it is in udev configs as I see what your
saying that /dev is not starting.

Mike
> The only workaround I found is under root : passwd -d gabo
>
> Then, when I rebooted, gentoo didn't boot anymore because of /dev/hda2
> being not fount. It seems that devfsd isn't started anymore because when
> pressing ctrl+d to be logged as root (debug mode), /dev/hda2 (and all other
> /dev devices) apears again when manually starting devfsd.
>
> I don't know how to edit gentoo startup sequence but I searched the /dev
> directory and found this : /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/partX where X
> equals /dev/hdaX
>
> So... booting with gentoo 2004.2 livecd (since / is readonly when in
> debugging mode). Editing my /etc/fstab replacing /dev/hdaX
> with /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/partX
>
> Great !!! My Gentoo works again !! It took me two hours to find that ! :(
>
> But there is no more password for gabo (I absolutely need a password) and I
> can't login as root under konsole using 'su'. (it does work in pure console
> mode).

>--- gabo@gabo ~ $ su
> Password:
> su: Permission denied
> Sorry.
>---
>
> So, what's hapening ? Why does devfsd does not start automatically at
> startup anymore ? How can I fix those passwords issues ?
>
> Thanks for your help !
>
> Gael Beaudoin

Michael W. Holdeman

Why keep payin g for windoze??
Powered by Gentoo Linux 1.2 www.gentoo.org
Linux Kernel 2.6.4-r1
Windows Apps thanks to Win4Lin 5.1.16 www.netraverse.com

Re: emerging latest baselayout => devfsd & password pbs [ In reply to ]
maybe you both need to reconsider emerging unstable ebuilds for vital
system packages.

my system, straight after a sync just now,

nick@www nick $ etcat -v baselayout
[ Results for search key : baselayout ]
[ Candidate applications found : 7 ]

Only printing found installed programs.

* sys-apps/baselayout :
[ I] 1.9.4-r3 (0)
[M ] 1.9.4-r4 (0)
[ ] 1.9.4-r5 (0)
[ ] 1.9.4-r6 (0)
[M~ ] 1.10.3 (0)
[M~ ] 1.10.4 (0)
[M~ ] 1.11.3 (0)

Things stay masked for a reason!

Re: emerging latest baselayout => devfsd & password pbs [ In reply to ]
My gentoo is now working (I had to modify fstab) but do you have any tips
regarding the password issue ?

I can't setup a new password for my user and so ... i can't 'su' under kde,
neither use anything that need the root password (eg, control panels that
needs root privileges).

Gael Beaudoin

Great stuff in the new baselayout : the net.ethX initscripts are now more
verbose about wireless connexions !! (essid, wep, etc ...) :)

Re: emerging latest baselayout => devfsd & password pbs [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 26 October 2004 00:58, Nick Rout wrote:
> maybe you both need to reconsider emerging unstable ebuilds for vital
> system packages.
>
> my system, straight after a sync just now,
>
> nick@www nick $ etcat -v baselayout
> [ Results for search key : baselayout ]
> [ Candidate applications found : 7 ]
>
> Only printing found installed programs.
>
> * sys-apps/baselayout :
> [ I] 1.9.4-r3 (0)
> [M ] 1.9.4-r4 (0)
> [ ] 1.9.4-r5 (0)
> [ ] 1.9.4-r6 (0)
> [M~ ] 1.10.3 (0)
> [M~ ] 1.10.4 (0)
> [M~ ] 1.11.3 (0)
>
> Things stay masked for a reason!

after an emerge sync && emerge -u system mine says:

energy ~ # etcat -v baselayout
[ Results for search key : baselayout ]
[ Candidate applications found : 7 ]

Only printing found installed programs.

* sys-apps/baselayout :
[ ] 1.9.4-r3 (0)
[M ] 1.9.4-r4 (0)
[ ] 1.9.4-r5 (0)
[ ] 1.9.4-r6 (0)
[ ~ ] 1.10.3 (0)
[ ~ ] 1.10.4 (0)
[ I] 1.11.3 (0)

so, 1.11.3 is getting installed, even without forcing it down gentoo's throat
and I am mighty excited how the reboot will go.

Re: emerging latest baselayout => devfsd & password pbs [ In reply to ]
On Monday 25 October 2004 06:58 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
> maybe you both need to reconsider emerging unstable ebuilds for vital
> system packages.
>
> my system, straight after a sync just now,
>
> nick@www nick $ etcat -v baselayout
> [ Results for search key : baselayout ]
> [ Candidate applications found : 7 ]
>
> Only printing found installed programs.
>
> * sys-apps/baselayout :
> [ I] 1.9.4-r3 (0)
> [M ] 1.9.4-r4 (0)
> [ ] 1.9.4-r5 (0)
> [ ] 1.9.4-r6 (0)
> [M~ ] 1.10.3 (0)
> [M~ ] 1.10.4 (0)
> [M~ ] 1.11.3 (0)
>
> Things stay masked for a reason!

I do understand the masked info. Many of us are willing to take certain risks
for the possible benifits, and at least I accept the risk on a production
machine that I use everyday. Very seldom is the machine unusable for more
than a few hours while a bug is worked out.
I hope I have never placed any ¨blame¨ for an inoperative machine or problem
on any at Gentoo!
But how will we ever progress to new apps, and features if noone but the
developers use the stuff!
I think this has been a great learing exp for all involved.
I am using the affected machine now, I edited the rc file according to the
forum messages and changed RC_DEVICES from auto to udev and the machine is
now usable. There are a few boot messages to work on, I also noticed it fixed
the problem I had with boot actually appearing to run twice.
Mike

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:12:52 -0400
>
> "Michael W. Holdeman" <lists@ptfd.org> wrote:
> > On Monday October 25 2004 17:27, Gael Beaudoin wrote:
> > > Hi all :)
> > >
> > > Version 1.10.3 was installed and sysvinit too. I wanted to emerge the
> > > latest version so I unmerge sysvinit because It was blocking
> > > baselayout. I emerged baselayout-1.11.3 and then ... it screwed up my
> > > passwords.
> > >
> > > Fortunately, I was already logged under root, so I changed was able to
> > > reset it using passwd.
> > > I tried to do the same for my everyday user (gabo), but it doesn't work
> > > :
> >
> > This sounds like the same issue I'm working on. It did happen with 1.1.13
> > also.
> >
> > I still cant get a good boot. I think it is in udev configs as I see what
> > your saying that /dev is not starting.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > > The only workaround I found is under root : passwd -d gabo
> > >
> > > Then, when I rebooted, gentoo didn't boot anymore because of /dev/hda2
> > > being not fount. It seems that devfsd isn't started anymore because
> > > when pressing ctrl+d to be logged as root (debug mode), /dev/hda2 (and
> > > all other /dev devices) apears again when manually starting devfsd.
> > >
> > > I don't know how to edit gentoo startup sequence but I searched the
> > > /dev directory and found this : /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/partX
> > > where X equals /dev/hdaX
> > >
> > > So... booting with gentoo 2004.2 livecd (since / is readonly when in
> > > debugging mode). Editing my /etc/fstab replacing /dev/hdaX
> > > with /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/partX
> > >
> > > Great !!! My Gentoo works again !! It took me two hours to find that !
> > > :(
> > >
> > > But there is no more password for gabo (I absolutely need a password)
> > > and I can't login as root under konsole using 'su'. (it does work in
> > > pure console mode).

> > >---- --- gabo@gabo ~ $ su
> > > Password:
> > > su: Permission denied
> > > Sorry.
> > >---- ---
> > >
> > > So, what's hapening ? Why does devfsd does not start automatically at
> > > startup anymore ? How can I fix those passwords issues ?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help !
> > >
> > > Gael Beaudoin
> > >

> > > --
> >
> > --
> > Michael W. Holdeman
> >
> > Why keep payin g for windoze??
> > Powered by Gentoo Linux 1.2 www.gentoo.org
> > Linux Kernel 2.6.4-r1
> > Windows Apps thanks to Win4Lin 5.1.16 www.netraverse.com
> >
> > --

Michael W. Holdeman

Powered by Gentoo Linux www.gentoo.org 2004.0
Kernel 2.6.8.1-ck9
Windows apps thanks to Win4Lin 5.1.16 netraverse.com
Wireless thanks to ndiswrapper

Re: emerging latest baselayout => devfsd & password pbs [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:58:00 -0400
"Michael W. Holdeman" <lists@ptfd.org> wrote:

> I do understand the masked info. Many of us are willing to take certain risks
> for the possible benifits, and at least I accept the risk on a production
> machine that I use everyday. Very seldom is the machine unusable for more
> than a few hours while a bug is worked out.

no thats perfectly acceptable to me, we must all make and stand by our
own decisions on stable/unstable. You obviously know the risks. tales of
unbootable machines where the kernel cannot find filesystems gives me
the heeby jeebies though.....

there is a guy in our lug who didn't really understand the implications
of ~x86 and is in all sorts of difficulties running his whole system at
~x86

> I hope I have never placed any ¨blame¨ for an inoperative machine or problem
> on any at Gentoo!
> But how will we ever progress to new apps, and features if noone but the
> developers use the stuff!
> I think this has been a great learing exp for all involved.
> I am using the affected machine now, I edited the rc file according to the
> forum messages and changed RC_DEVICES from auto to udev and the machine is
> now usable. There are a few boot messages to work on, I also noticed it fixed
> the problem I had with boot actually appearing to run twice.
> Mike

sorry i have lost track of this - would you be so good as to point me to
the forum that you are referring to.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>