Mailing List Archive

RE: SOLVED: LiveCD 2004.2 fails with Dell PowerEdge 2300
Ok, solved this one myself. I mounted the smp.igz image and looked at
/linuxrc. On line 127 is where it was kicking me out to the shell, but
with no message of what to do. I loaded aic7xxx,sd_mod,sr_mod to make
my SCSI cdrom available. It was put into /newroot/dev/cdroms by devfs
(isn't this going away?). Now that the CD is mountable I can simply
`exec /linuxrc` and things proceeded as normal (going from stage2 as I
type)

Why didn't I say 'doscsi' as a parameter when booting? Good question as
this is how things are supposed to operate. Well that dang sym53c8xx
module was hanging when the scsi scan was happening (around line 71 of
linuxrc). It would say something like "scsi_transport_spi, " and just
hang. I waited 20 minutes and it didn't look active so...

I wish the linuxrc would have a bit of diagnostics there. Perhaps it
could tell us that we may need to load modules and specify what
$REAL_ROOT or $CDROOT should be? Then we would have a hint as to what
to do. Looking at the code if I had exited the shell after loading the
necessary modules and such it would have cleaned up and stopped. This
functionality could be changed to say "User fix something then exit and
I'll try again to find your cdrom"

/djb

Re: SOLVED: LiveCD 2004.2 fails with Dell PowerEdge 2300 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:17:21 -0700, David Busby <busby@edoceo.com> wrote:

> I wish the linuxrc would have a bit of diagnostics there. Perhaps it
> could tell us that we may need to load modules and specify what
> $REAL_ROOT or $CDROOT should be? Then we would have a hint as to what
> to do. Looking at the code if I had exited the shell after loading the
> necessary modules and such it would have cleaned up and stopped. This
> functionality could be changed to say "User fix something then exit and
> I'll try again to find your cdrom"

I hope that you have filed a bugzilla report for this behavior?
Nothing gets fixed unless that is done.

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

RE: SOLVED: LiveCD 2004.2 fails with Dell PowerEdge 2300 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, October 25, 2004 1:17 pm, David Busby said:
> Ok, solved this one myself. I mounted the smp.igz image and looked at
> /linuxrc. On line 127 is where it was kicking me out to the shell, but
> with no message of what to do. I loaded aic7xxx,sd_mod,sr_mod to make
> my SCSI cdrom available. It was put into /newroot/dev/cdroms by devfs
> (isn't this going away?). Now that the CD is mountable I can simply
> `exec /linuxrc` and things proceeded as normal (going from stage2 as I
> type)
>
> Why didn't I say 'doscsi' as a parameter when booting? Good question as
> this is how things are supposed to operate. Well that dang sym53c8xx
> module was hanging when the scsi scan was happening (around line 71 of
> linuxrc). It would say something like "scsi_transport_spi, " and just
> hang. I waited 20 minutes and it didn't look active so...

that has happened on almost every machine i have tried it on, must be
something with the cd? sometimes the 2.4 kernel works when the 2.6 doesnt
and vise versa, since you can select the kernel you want to use later on
in the install it wasnt that big a deal to me, although it did take a
couple days to compile everything with a 200mhz cpu when i could have been
using 2x200 cpus :-/