Mailing List Archive

Can't login into gnome anymore
Hi,

Yesterday i have workt whole day in Gnome and i shutdon my computer and rebooted it (forgot something) but now i con't get into Gnome anymore not eve nin the save modus, i always get the login screen, i have created a nother account and with this one i can login, and also with root.
.xsession errors show nothing
How can i fiwx this problem, home is an other partition should i run fsck?

Patrick

Re: Can't login into gnome anymore [ In reply to ]
2004-10-25, h keltezéssel 15:34-kor Patrick Marquetecken ezt írta:
> Yesterday i have workt whole day in Gnome and i shutdon my computer and rebooted it (forgot something) but now i con't get into Gnome anymore not eve nin the save modus, i always get the login screen, i have created a nother account and with this one i can login, and also with root.
> .xsession errors show nothing
> How can i fiwx this problem, home is an other partition should i run fsck?

if you don't care about loosing your settings, maybe this will help (got
the same issue like you some days before with Gnome 2.8):
_YOU'LL_LOOSE_ALL_YOUR_PREVIOUS_GNOME_SETTINGS!
<commands_as_user_who_wants_to_login>
cd && rm -rf ~/.gconf* && rm -rf .gnome*
</commands_as_user_who_wants_to_login>
then try to login.

Cheers, Zsoltik@
(sorry about the disclaimer)

relate to the official business of Online Business Technologies Corp.
shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. In such cases
Online Business Technologies Corp. will not bear the responsibility of
consequences.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
system manager immediately by responding to this email and then delete
it from your system.

A levelben foglalt, nem az Online Rt. hivatalos uzletmenetevel kapcsolatos
velemenyek vagy mas informaciok vonatkozasaban az Online Rt. nem vallal
felelosseget.
Amennyiben a level valamely hiba folytan jutott Onhoz, kerjuk, hogy
valaszlevelben azonnal ertesitse a rendszer uzemeltetojet, majd torolje ki
a levelet rendszerebol!
Re: Can't login into gnome anymore [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:34:49 +0200, Patrick Marquetecken
<patrick.marquetecken@pandora.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday i have workt whole day in Gnome and i shutdon my computer and rebooted it (forgot something) but now i con't get into Gnome anymore not eve nin the save modus, i always get the login screen, i have created a nother account and with this one i can login, and also with root.
> .xsession errors show nothing
> How can i fiwx this problem, home is an other partition should i run fsck?

I know this happened when i was fiddling with my firewall and forgot
to allow connections to loopback.. you could also try deleting
everything in /tmp and trying again.

> Patrick

Q: "What is the burning question on the mind of every dyslexic
existentialist?"
A: "Is there a dog?"

Re: Can't login into gnome anymore [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:03:32 +0200
Botykai Zsolt <zsolt.botykai@online.hu> wrote:

> 2004-10-25, h keltezéssel 15:34-kor Patrick Marquetecken ezt írta:
> > Yesterday i have workt whole day in Gnome and i shutdon my computer and rebooted it (forgot something) but now i con't get into Gnome anymore not eve nin the save modus, i always get the login screen, i have created a nother account and with this one i can login, and also with root.
> > .xsession errors show nothing
> > How can i fiwx this problem, home is an other partition should i run fsck?
>
> if you don't care about loosing your settings, maybe this will help (got
> the same issue like you some days before with Gnome 2.8):
> _YOU'LL_LOOSE_ALL_YOUR_PREVIOUS_GNOME_SETTINGS!
> <commands_as_user_who_wants_to_login>
> cd && rm -rf ~/.gconf* && rm -rf .gnome*
> </commands_as_user_who_wants_to_login>
> then try to login.
>
> Cheers, Zsoltik@
> (sorry about the disclaimer)
Doesn't matter

It's solved, i have trie both the solutions of Botykai Zsolt and Kirtis Bakalarczyk and it din't work.
After running fsck still no solution i saw that root !!! was the owner of my homedir, but not of the existing files and directories.
After changing this all works fine again.

Patrick