Thanks in advance!

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Re: Command-line tool to compute MD5 has from text string? [ In reply to ]
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Is there a command line tool to create an MD5 hash from a text string?
> I would like to store encrypted passwords in a database, but I have
> having a tough time finding a utility to create them for me.
>
> Thanks in advance!

md5sum

:+P

Re: Command-line tool to compute MD5 has from text string? [ In reply to ]
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Is there a command line tool to create an MD5 hash from a text string?

Is there any other command-line tool for create hash from text string
instead of insecure MD5 (for example SHA-1 and SHA-2 family) ?

Thank you in advance

Jerry

Re: Command-line tool to compute MD5 has from text string? [ In reply to ]
* Jerry <jry2000@seznam.cz>:
> Is there any other command-line tool for create hash from text string
> instead of insecure MD5 (for example SHA-1 and SHA-2 family) ?

gpg --print-md sha1

--
.: Torsten Veller | They're only trying to make me LOOK paranoid! :.

Re: Command-line tool to compute MD5 has from text string? [ In reply to ]
Jerry wrote:
> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
>> Is there a command line tool to create an MD5 hash from a text string?

$ echo <string> | md5sum

> Is there any other command-line tool for create hash from text string
> instead of insecure MD5 (for example SHA-1 and SHA-2 family) ?

$ echo <string> | sha1sum

Re: Command-line tool to compute MD5 has from text string? [ In reply to ]
Javier Villavicencio wrote:

> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
>> Is there a command line tool to create an MD5 hash from a text
>> string? I would like to store encrypted passwords in a database, but
>> I have having a tough time finding a utility to create them for me.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
> md5sum
>
> :+P

No, that fails with courier-imap. I have cleartext working fine, but
when I set it up for crypt and then use the password based upon the
md5sum generated has it always fails.

Tom

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Re: Command-line tool to compute MD5 has from text string? [ In reply to ]
Mauro Faccenda wrote:

> Jerry wrote:
>
>> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a command line tool to create an MD5 hash from a text string?
>>

> $ echo <string> | md5sum
>

>> Is there any other command-line tool for create hash from text string
>> instead of insecure MD5 (for example SHA-1 and SHA-2 family) ?
>

> $ echo <string> | sha1sum

Here is what I was looking for in my situation. I guess I wasn't
looking for MD5 at all!

perl -le 'print crypt("password", "ab");'

|"ab"| is any two random characters.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Re: Command-line tool to compute MD5 has from text string? [ In reply to ]
On October 25, 2004 12:23 pm, Mauro Faccenda wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
> > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> >> Is there a command line tool to create an MD5 hash from a text string?
>
> $ echo <string> | md5sum
>
> > Is there any other command-line tool for create hash from text string
> > instead of insecure MD5 (for example SHA-1 and SHA-2 family) ?
>
> $ echo <string> | sha1sum

don't forget "-n":

$ echo -n <string> | sha1sum

otherwise, your string will have an appended "\n" which can be a problem if
you're trying to verify something like a password.

--
do not wait for leaders;
do it alone, person to person.

Re: Command-line tool to compute MD5 has from text string? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Is there a command line tool to create an MD5 hash from a text string?
> I would like to store encrypted passwords in a database, but I have
> having a tough time finding a utility to create them for me.

man openssl

(Try "openssl passwd -1" to get passwd-style MD5 hashes).