kde-base\kdegames-3.3.0 and kde-base\kdeedu-3.3.0?

Thanks
Vittorio

Re: Not emerging a specific package [ In reply to ]
If you create a package.provided file in /etc/portage/profile you can
add those packages to the file and it will think you are providing
them instead of needing to emerge them. I would be careful with this
however you could break some dependencies pretty bad.

Re: Not emerging a specific package [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:00:48 +0200, v.demartino2@virgilio.it
<v.demartino2@virgilio.it> wrote:
> I don't know how to avoid to emerge a package contained in a bundle.
> For instance:
> What shall I do while emerging kde if I DON'T want to download and compile
> kde-base\kdegames-3.3.0 and kde-base\kdeedu-3.3.0?

emerge -up kde

Then look at the output and emerge only the specific things you want.
You could use a combination of sed (to extract just the package
names), grep (to filter out the packages you don't want) and xargs to
automate this.

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk><http://blog.dorward.me.uk>

Re: Not emerging a specific package [ In reply to ]
v.demartino2@virgilio.it wrote:
> I don't know how to avoid to emerge a package contained in a bundle.
> For instance:
> What shall I do while emerging kde if I DON'T want to download and compile
> kde-base\kdegames-3.3.0 and kde-base\kdeedu-3.3.0?
>
> Thanks
> Vittorio

Speaking for myself, I'd just emerge 'em, then unmerge and mask them (so
that when upgrades to the wanted/installed package groups became
available, they would show up in an emerge -u*** world), but you might
also be interested in this initiative I just saw in the Gentoo Weekly
Newsletter. Apparently the devs on the dev list are working on breaking
down KDE into smaller bites:

"Broken-up" KDE ebuilds

Dan Armak[26] has released individual KDE ebuilds that allow single KDE
applications to be built without pulling in other, perhaps unneeded KDE
applications. This is one of the most frequently requested functions and
is now available at least experimentally.
26. danarmak@gentoo.org

* broken up KDE ebuilds[27]
27. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/22259

Hope this helps,

Holly

Re: Not emerging a specific package [ In reply to ]
> <v.demartino2@virgilio.it> wrote:
> > I don't know how to avoid to emerge a package contained in a bundle.
> > For instance:
> > What shall I do while emerging kde if I DON'T want to download and compile
> > kde-base\kdegames-3.3.0 and kde-base\kdeedu-3.3.0?

Another solution for this would be to:

emerge -i package_you_don't_want

which would then make portage think the package is already installed,
and then you can just:

emerge kde

and go away happy as your computer compiles the packages. It's worked
for me, with GNOME anyway.

~Jamie R. McPeek