Mailing List Archive

.... two questions about gnome(2.6.2-r1)
i've the following problems with gnome, which may be the consequence of
a wrong configuration, allthough i never messed around with gnome-config
files; but at least the first of this problem also occured some time
ago, when i was using gnome 2.4.x. maybe it's worth to note that i'm
using the gentoo stable branch for x86 and xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1. in my
make.conf i've CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -mmmx -msse -m3dnow -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer"

but now to my problems:

1.)when i choose actions logout a very short time after logging in (that
means somewhat below 30 seconds) at first nothing happens. then, about a
minute later, gnome decides suddenly not to completly ignore me and logs
out. besides, it's not possible for me the restart or shotdown directly
from my gnome desktop, even if i activate
applications->desktop preferences->advanced->sessions->promt on logout;
i just get back to gdm, from where i can shut down, reboot etc. without
problems.

2.)if i add a drawer to my top panel, and then into this drawer a system
monitor, i get the following message, when i restart gnome: "The
Application "multiload-applet-2" has quit unexpectedly."
Afterwards: "The "System Monitor" applet appears to have died
unexpectedly. Do you want to reload this applet?"
the stange thing is, that if i add a system monitor without a drawer,
that works without problems .....

maybe someone can help me .....

thanks,
antonio

Re: .... two questions about gnome(2.6.2-r1) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 14:29, Antonio Coralles wrote:

> 1.)when i choose actions logout a very short time after logging in (that
> means somewhat below 30 seconds) at first nothing happens. then, about a
> minute later, gnome decides suddenly not to completly ignore me and logs
> out. besides,

I experiene this as well. I put to to slow reaction. It's not only on
Gentoo, but on FC2 too.

> it's not possible for me the restart or shotdown directly
> from my gnome desktop, even if i activate
> applications->desktop preferences->advanced->sessions->promt on logout;
> i just get back to gdm, from where i can shut down, reboot etc. without
> problems.

Yeah.. There was a thread a while back (which I started ) on this. But,
so far, not an elegent solution was presented.

> 2.)if i add a drawer to my top panel, and then into this drawer a system
> monitor, i get the following message, when i restart gnome: "The
> Application "multiload-applet-2" has quit unexpectedly."
> Afterwards: "The "System Monitor" applet appears to have died
> unexpectedly. Do you want to reload this applet?"
> the stange thing is, that if i add a system monitor without a drawer,

Not sure what's happening, but my mutiload applet works Ok. it's only my
Sound applet that does that.

Re: .... two questions about gnome(2.6.2-r1) [ In reply to ]
Antonio Coralles wrote:
> i've the following problems with gnome, which may be the consequence of
> a wrong configuration, allthough i never messed around with gnome-config
> files; but at least the first of this problem also occured some time
> ago, when i was using gnome 2.4.x. maybe it's worth to note that i'm
> using the gentoo stable branch for x86 and xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1. in my
> make.conf i've CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -mmmx -msse -m3dnow -pipe
> -fomit-frame-pointer"
>
> but now to my problems:
>
> 1.)when i choose actions logout a very short time after logging in (that
> means somewhat below 30 seconds) at first nothing happens. then, about a
> minute later, gnome decides suddenly not to completly ignore me and logs
> out. besides, it's not possible for me the restart or shotdown directly
> from my gnome desktop, even if i activate
> applications->desktop preferences->advanced->sessions->promt on logout;
> i just get back to gdm, from where i can shut down, reboot etc. without
> problems.

The "going back to GDM" thing is "normal" insofar as every version of
GNOME I've ever used (from 2.2 to 2.8) has behaved this way. In fact,
even now that I do not use GDM, but a different DM (qingy), and a
different WM (Openbox), exiting the WM just takes me back out to the DM.

I am not particularly happy about the extra step, but I can understand
it. If you use a DM, you likely have multiple WMs, and if you have
multiple WMs, you might very well want to log into another one rather
than rebooting the system as a whole. Otherwise, there's little point in
using a DM in the first place, since you might as well just use startx
from a console login to start a single installed WM via ~./xsession.

But your situation is slightly different due to the <=30 seconds logout.
Normally I would say, "maybe it's still trying to load the session, and
then gets to you when it's finished,", but I've had GNOME 'ignore' me
for a couple of minutes when I log out after much longer than a 30
second session.

I suspect a crashed background process, but interestingly, if I then
open gnome-system-monitor to attempt to investigate the possible crashed
process and end it, this somehow wakes GNOME up, and it then logs out
just after opening the System Monitor (I usually don't even have time to
look at it).

So all I can tell you is that it's a long-standing GNOME quirk, but I've
never had any serious problems because of it; it's just annoying.

> 2.)if i add a drawer to my top panel, and then into this drawer a system
> monitor, i get the following message, when i restart gnome: "The
> Application "multiload-applet-2" has quit unexpectedly."
> Afterwards: "The "System Monitor" applet appears to have died
> unexpectedly. Do you want to reload this applet?"
> the stange thing is, that if i add a system monitor without a drawer,
> that works without problems .....

This might be a bug, but it also might be a mistake on your part. When
you add the System Monitor to the drawer, which one are you adding? The
meters, that show the system activity with a graph, or the monitor
program similar to the Windows Task Manager, that you get when you
(right/double,whichever-)click the meter? This used to be a source of
confusion (for me at least) under GNOME 2.4 and 2.6; for a long time I
didn't know how to call the monitor applet directly, but only through
the meters (which I'm pretty sure can't go in a drawer successfully).

This seems to be fixed for me in 2.8, where the meter is a meter, and
the monitor applet is the monitor, and clearly defined by how they are
added to the panel-- the meter is in the top level main dialog, the
monitor applet is in the System menu, which is accessed from a
sub-dialog of the main dialog (add application from GNOME menu, loosely
translated, but long-time GNOME users should be familiar with the
option, as it has been on the panel add menu for some time).

Anyway, it's possible that 2.6.2-r1 wasn't the most stable (I found it a
bit of a regression, myself), but it's also possible that you're asking
GNOME to do something that it really can't do.

> maybe someone can help me .....

Hope this helps,

Holly

.... two questions about gnome(2.6.2-r1) [ In reply to ]
[...]

ps: yes, i know, i've allready posted the same message before, but i did
this an a somehow unfavourable time (about 7:00) ....

Re: .... two questions about gnome(2.6.2-r1) [ In reply to ]
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org wrote:

> [...]
>> Application "multiload-applet-2" has quit unexpectedly."
>> Afterwards: "The "System Monitor" applet appears to have died
>> unexpectedly. Do you want to reload this applet?"
>> the stange thing is, that if i add a system monitor without a drawer,
>> that works without problems .....
>

> This might be a bug, but it also might be a mistake on your part. When
> you add the System Monitor to the drawer, which one are you adding? The
> meters, that show the system activity with a graph, or the monitor
> program similar to the Windows Task Manager, that you get when you
> (right/double,whichever-)click the meter? This used to be a source of
> confusion (for me at least) under GNOME 2.4 and 2.6; for a long time I
> didn't know how to call the monitor applet directly, but only through
> the meters (which I'm pretty sure can't go in a drawer successfully).

yes, i mean the meters, and you are probably right, but my opinion is
that if they dont't work in a drawer, there should be no possibility to
add them to a drawer; besides everthing works well until i log out and
in again.

> This seems to be fixed for me in 2.8, where the meter is a meter, and
> the monitor applet is the monitor, and clearly defined by how they are
> added to the panel-- the meter is in the top level main dialog, the
> monitor applet is in the System menu, which is accessed from a
> sub-dialog of the main dialog (add application from GNOME menu, loosely
> translated, but long-time GNOME users should be familiar with the
> option, as it has been on the panel add menu for some time).
>

> Anyway, it's possible that 2.6.2-r1 wasn't the most stable (I found it a
> bit of a regression, myself), but it's also possible that you're asking
> GNOME to do something that it really can't do.
>>
>> maybe someone can help me .....
>

> Hope this helps,
>

> Holly

yes this helped, at least i know now that i'm not the only one with this
strange login-logout problem.
thank you very much for your answer,
antonio

Re: .... two questions about gnome(2.6.2-r1) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 21:44, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Antonio Coralles wrote:
> >
> > out. besides, it's not possible for me the restart or shotdown directly
> > from my gnome desktop, even if i activate
> > applications->desktop preferences->advanced->sessions->promt on logout;
> > i just get back to gdm, from where i can shut down, reboot etc. without
> > problems.
>
> The "going back to GDM" thing is "normal" insofar as every version of
> GNOME I've ever used (from 2.2 to 2.8) has behaved this way. In fact,
> even now that I do not use GDM, but a different DM (qingy), and a
> different WM (Openbox), exiting the WM just takes me back out to the DM.

That's not normal behaviour. At least for Fedora/Redhat which will
indeed shutdown from within Gnome.

Re: .... two questions about gnome(2.6.2-r1) [ In reply to ]
Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 21:44, Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>>Antonio Coralles wrote:
>>
>>>out. besides, it's not possible for me the restart or shotdown directly
>>>from my gnome desktop, even if i activate
>>>applications->desktop preferences->advanced->sessions->promt on logout;
>>>i just get back to gdm, from where i can shut down, reboot etc. without
>>>problems.
>>
>>The "going back to GDM" thing is "normal" insofar as every version of
>>GNOME I've ever used (from 2.2 to 2.8) has behaved this way. In fact,
>>even now that I do not use GDM, but a different DM (qingy), and a
>>different WM (Openbox), exiting the WM just takes me back out to the DM.
>

> That's not normal behaviour. At least for Fedora/Redhat which will
> indeed shutdown from within Gnome.

I've heard that before, but this never happened for me under Mandrake,
Debian, Slackware or Gentoo (not counting SuSE because I don't remember
if I ever installed GDM under it for the hour I used it, and only used
RH 9 for about 5 minutes, so I have no idea if it did that).

So I think that Fedora/Redhat has done something different in their
settings, and I would like to know what, if you might be able to suss it
out.

Holly