really need it? im looking for suggestions here.

thanks

nick

Re: CFLAGS question [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 22:42 +0000, Nick Smith wrote:

> should you use both mcpu and march? i read that one keeps the
> compatibility with other cpus and the other streamlines it for just your
> cpu type, well....im my case, im not using biniaries for any other
> machine on here, why would you need both? i have right now
> CFLAGS="-mcpu=pentium4 -march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
> am i slowing myself down by keeping compatibility with other cpus? do i
> really need it? im looking for suggestions here.

You do not need both but having -mcpu will not slow you down as the
-march option implies the -mcpu (-mtune) option for the i386 platform.
Thus you are not actually keeping compatibility for other CPUs. Note
that this is not necessarily the case for other architectures.

--
Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>

Re: CFLAGS question [ In reply to ]
Glenn Johnson wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 22:42 +0000, Nick Smith wrote:
>

>>should you use both mcpu and march? i read that one keeps the
>>compatibility with other cpus and the other streamlines it for just your
>>cpu type, well....im my case, im not using biniaries for any other
>>machine on here, why would you need both? i have right now
>>CFLAGS="-mcpu=pentium4 -march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
>>am i slowing myself down by keeping compatibility with other cpus? do i
>>really need it? im looking for suggestions here.
>>

>You do not need both but having -mcpu will not slow you down as the
>-march option implies the -mcpu (-mtune) option for the i386 platform.
>Thus you are not actually keeping compatibility for other CPUs. Note
>that this is not necessarily the case for other architectures.

The reason to use -mcpu or -mtune is some ebuilds strip -march