But....yes there is a but, is I reboot from an OS to the other I lose
the effect of operations like deleting messages, or simply changing
their status to read, so that I have still all messages on unread
status, still messages I previously deleted, and sometimes even
duplications of them.

Is there anyone out there who experienced this? And maybe even solved it?

Thank U.
Fabrizio

Re: Bugs with mozilla mail folder on shared vfat partition between Linux and Win? [ In reply to ]
Fabrizio Prosperi wrote:

> But....yes there is a but, is I reboot from an OS to the other I lose
> the effect of operations like deleting messages, or simply changing
> their status to read, so that I have still all messages on unread
> status, still messages I previously deleted, and sometimes even
> duplications of them.
>
> Is there anyone out there who experienced this? And maybe even solved it?

Hi Fabrizio.

If it helps I have the problem, but I don't have your interesting
installation or the answer to your question :)
1) sometimes when the computer is halted without mozilla existing
properly I get 8192 messages duplicated from other folders with unread
status in my Inbox. Happened with thunderbird and now with mozilla.
2) when I switched from thunderbird to mozilla mail I had problem 1)
plus loss of unread/read status on most (not all) of my messages.
Though I have no idea of how mozilla indexes its messages problem 2)
leads me to believe that it uses a temp file for indexing which may or
may not be written to disk/reside in the same folder with the messages.

Workarounds:
1) always shutdown mozilla first.
2) someone around here mentioned installing a IMAP server. I will do
that as soons as I get a new PIII putter to act as my mail server. That
someone also mentioned that I'd be free from the burden of being tied to
one application's way of handling messages.

--

Adi