RedHat, Fedora). When booting up I see the message:
Setting System clock to hardware clock (UTC)
When setting up the system and it tells you to link the localtime, the
only one
that seems to work is UTC to have the time correct.
How can I fix this problem.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: setting timezone not working [ In reply to ]
emerge rdate if you don't have on your system, make sh script:

#!/bin/sh
rdate -s time.nist.gov #or your favorite server
hwclock --systohc

and run it as root.

#Joseph

Re: setting timezone not working [ In reply to ]
Mike Noble wrote:
> I have been trying to get the timezone setup and it has not been working
> (well correctly).
> If I have the following: localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/PST8PDT, the
> time is
> off. If I get the time from my local time server, ntpdate ntp.ucsd.edu,
> it sets
> the time correctly. But the problem is now my MB bios clock is off. This
> causes problems with other Linux installs that I have on the system
> (Mandrake,
> RedHat, Fedora). When booting up I see the message:
> Setting System clock to hardware clock (UTC)
> When setting up the system and it tells you to link the localtime, the
> only one
> that seems to work is UTC to have the time correct.
> How can I fix this problem.

Looks like you want to have your local time in your mainboard's BIOS (UTC
means that the time in BIOS will almost always differ from your local time).

In /etc/rc.conf set
CLOCK="local"

That should do the trick.

HTH, regards
Felix

Re: setting timezone not working [ In reply to ]
Felix Tiede wrote:
> Mike Noble wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to get the timezone setup and it has not been working
>> (well correctly).
>> If I have the following: localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/PST8PDT,
>> the time is
>> off. If I get the time from my local time server, ntpdate
>> ntp.ucsd.edu, it sets
>> the time correctly. But the problem is now my MB bios clock is off.
>> This
>> causes problems with other Linux installs that I have on the system
>> (Mandrake,
>> RedHat, Fedora). When booting up I see the message:
>> Setting System clock to hardware clock (UTC)
>> When setting up the system and it tells you to link the localtime, the
>> only one
>> that seems to work is UTC to have the time correct.
>> How can I fix this problem.
>

> Looks like you want to have your local time in your mainboard's BIOS
> (UTC means that the time in BIOS will almost always differ from your
> local time).
>
> In /etc/rc.conf set
> CLOCK="local"
>
> That should do the trick.