Anybody knows what is it?

--
#Joseph

Re: cups start ERROR [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 09:42, Joseph wrote:
> When I try to start cups I get the following error:
> # /etc/init.d/cupsd restart
> * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
> * Stopping cupsd...
>
> Anybody knows what is it?

If I zap it and try to start it again there is another error:
/etc/init.d/cupsd start
* Starting cupsd...
cupsd: Child exited with status 98!

--
#Joseph

Re: cups start ERROR [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:46:24 -0600, Joseph <syscon@interbaun.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 09:42, Joseph wrote:
> > When I try to start cups I get the following error:
> > # /etc/init.d/cupsd restart
> > * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
> > * Stopping cupsd...
> >
> > Anybody knows what is it?
>
> If I zap it and try to start it again there is another error:
> /etc/init.d/cupsd start
> * Starting cupsd...
> cupsd: Child exited with status 98!

First step is to examine the logs in /var/log/cups to see what the
actual error is.
Next, if this doesn't do the trick, up the errorlevel and try again.

Change the value in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to

LogLevel debug2

After you resolve the problem, change the value back to the original
setting to prevent filling up /var with worthless data.

HTH,

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: cups start ERROR [ In reply to ]
I set the debug to detail and when sent job to a printer these are to
following errors I can find:
[Job 976] Possible error on renderer command line or PostScript error.
Check options.
PID 30622 exited with no errors.

#Joseph

--
#Joseph

Re: cups start ERROR [ In reply to ]
> If I zap it and try to start it again there is another error:
> /etc/init.d/cupsd start
> * Starting cupsd...
> cupsd: Child exited with status 98!

I've found en explanation in cups-faq

Another process is using the port that cupsd listens to (default 631).
It might be the rpc.rquotad deamon. Either disable this deamon or make
sure cupsd starts before nfs.

I don't have nfs installed, /etc/services is not showing any 631 port
either.
netstat -n --inet with the following output:
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:631 127.0.0.1:38023
ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:38023 127.0.0.1:631
ESTABLISHED
tcp 1 0 127.0.0.1:38012 127.0.0.1:631
CLOSE_WAIT
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:38015 127.0.0.1:631
CLOSE_WAIT
tcp 1 0 127.0.0.1:37310 127.0.0.1:631
CLOSE_WAIT
tcp 1 0 127.0.0.1:36904 127.0.0.1:631
CLOSE_WAIT
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:36907 127.0.0.1:631
CLOSE_WAIT
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:40073 127.0.0.1:631
TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:40072 127.0.0.1:631
TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:40075 127.0.0.1:631
TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:40074 127.0.0.1:631
TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:40077 127.0.0.1:631
TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:40076 127.0.0.1:631
TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:40079 127.0.0.1:631
TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:40078 127.0.0.1:631
TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:40065 127.0.0.1:631
TIME_WAIT

How do I close them?

--
#Joseph

Re: cups start ERROR [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Joseph wrote:

> Another process is using the port that cupsd listens to (default 631).
> It might be the rpc.rquotad deamon. Either disable this deamon or make
> sure cupsd starts before nfs.
>
> I don't have nfs installed, /etc/services is not showing any 631 port
> either.

A good way of seeing what process is using which port is to run "lsof -i"
as root.

("emerge lsof" if you dont have that command).

--
GIGO /gi:'goh/ [acronym]

1. `Garbage In, Garbage Out' --
usually said in response to lusers who complain that a program
didn't "do the right thing" when given imperfect input or
otherwise mistreated in some way. Also commonly used to describe
failures in human decision making due to faulty, incomplete, or
imprecise data. 2. `Garbage In, Gospel Out': this more recent
expansion is a sardonic comment on the tendency human beings have
to put excessive trust in `computerized' data.

Re: cups start ERROR [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 22:22, Ajai Khattri wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Joseph wrote:
>
> > Another process is using the port that cupsd listens to (default 631).
> > It might be the rpc.rquotad deamon. Either disable this deamon or make
> > sure cupsd starts before nfs.
> >
> > I don't have nfs installed, /etc/services is not showing any 631 port
> > either.
>
> A good way of seeing what process is using which port is to run "lsof -i"
> as root.
>
> ("emerge lsof" if you dont have that command).

Thank you, I recorded it in my command collection indeed very
informative.

I my case simply restarting computer fixed the problem.

--
#Joseph

Re: cups start ERROR [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 24 October 2004 07:17, Joseph wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 22:22, Ajai Khattri wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Joseph wrote:
> > > Another process is using the port that cupsd listens to (default
> > > 631). It might be the rpc.rquotad deamon. Either disable this
> > > deamon or make sure cupsd starts before nfs.
> > >
> > > I don't have nfs installed, /etc/services is not showing any 631
> > > port either.
> >
> > A good way of seeing what process is using which port is to run
> > "lsof -i" as root.
> >
> > ("emerge lsof" if you dont have that command).
>
> Thank you, I recorded it in my command collection indeed very
> informative.
>
> I my case simply restarting computer fixed the problem.

Side note:
"netstat -n --inet"
shows as ESTABLISHED connections owned by hung daemons, but used ports
can be freed with "kill" command.

Experienced on a ppp link: with modem off I saw ESTABLISHED connections,
that was obvoiusly a nonsense, solved without rebooting.

Nice to know about if you have a two months uptime...

Ciao
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.9, Compiled #1 Sat Oct 23 15:39:21 CEST 2004
One 665MHz AMD Duron Processor, 768M RAM, 1302.52 Bogomips Total