Mailing List Archive

PCMCIA NIC and 2.6
Hi,

I have a linksys NP100 pcmcia nic.
I am playing with it for 3 days ans still not able to make it work :(

I tried HOWTOs and google but no help.

I have gentoo-dev-source from 2004.2 liveCD. I compiled the
PCMCIA/CARDBUS supported
in the kernel (not as modules). Then I emerged pcmcia-cs and added the
pcmcia init script to boot run level.

When the system boots, it say:
Linksys NP100 found on socket 0 but
Modprobe pcnet_cs
+ FATAL: Module pcnet_cs not found..

I can see the yellow light on the pcmcia connection blinking.
I am able to ping 127.0.0.1 but not able to start eth0

What could be the problem?

Help please

Can some one provide me a step by step guide for installing PCMCIA NIC
on kernel 2.6

Thanks in advance.

--
P r a b h a t G u p t a

Re: PCMCIA NIC and 2.6 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Prabhat Gupta wrote:

> I have gentoo-dev-source from 2004.2 liveCD. I compiled the
> PCMCIA/CARDBUS supported
> in the kernel (not as modules). Then I emerged pcmcia-cs and added the
> pcmcia init script to boot run level.
>
> When the system boots, it say:
> Linksys NP100 found on socket 0 but
> Modprobe pcnet_cs
> + FATAL: Module pcnet_cs not found..

If you are using pcmcia-cs then I think you need Cardbus support in the
kernel turned OFF. (At least, this is what my emerge told me).

Basically, you use the pcmcia-cs drivers or you let the kernel do its
thing. The error message says that it can't find the pcnet_cs module so
you must either setup pcmcia-cs correctly or build your kernel NIC drivers
modules and use those instead.

--
teraflop club /te'r*-flop kluhb/ n.

[FLOP = Floating
Point Operation] A mythical association of people who consume
outrageous amounts of computer time in order to produce a few
simple pictures of glass balls with intricate ray-tracing
techniques. Caltech professor James Kajiya is said to have been
the founder. Compare Knights of the Lambda Calculus.

Re: PCMCIA NIC and 2.6 [ In reply to ]
Ajai Khattri wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Prabhat Gupta wrote:
>

>>I have gentoo-dev-source from 2004.2 liveCD. I compiled the
>>PCMCIA/CARDBUS supported
>>in the kernel (not as modules). Then I emerged pcmcia-cs and added the
>>pcmcia init script to boot run level.
>>
>>When the system boots, it say:
>>Linksys NP100 found on socket 0 but
>>Modprobe pcnet_cs
>>+ FATAL: Module pcnet_cs not found..
>>

>If you are using pcmcia-cs then I think you need Cardbus support in the
>kernel turned OFF. (At least, this is what my emerge told me).
>
>Basically, you use the pcmcia-cs drivers or you let the kernel do its
>thing. The error message says that it can't find the pcnet_cs module so
>you must either setup pcmcia-cs correctly or build your kernel NIC drivers
>modules and use those instead.

Ajai,

Thanks for reply. It's working now.
Here is what I had to do.

1. Complie all the PCMCIA networking things as modules in the 2.6 kernel.
2. Compile yenta support in the PCMCIA section.
3. My linksys NP100 car uses ASIX chipset, so it need axnet_cs module.
3. The card was still not working. I had to use mii-tool to reset the
media setting to 10baseT even though the card is capable of 100 and my
router too.

--
P r a b h a t G u p t a