Mailing List Archive

MP3 players.... again...
Just a note, my wife brought home a busted RCA LYRA mp3 player, with 128meg
internal memory. A bit of fiddling and I got the thing to work ok. It has a
busted battery door latch and took a bit of tugging to get the spring
contact, down inside the case, to pop up and press against the battery
correctly... That and heavy rubber band to keep the door closed...

It works.

Anyways, it also works well under linux. I'm able to mount the LYRA as a vfat
formatted scsi device and copy, delete mp3's as desired and they all play
fine. Decent sound, nice options, but the lcd screen needs a backlight so, so
bad... The player doesn't seem to be bothered with the file name scheme I use
and... well... it's neat.

There's a slot on top that accepts a mmc/sd memory card for expansion. I'll be
testing this feature tomorrow after I score a memory card from Radio Shack.

So, the bottom line is... don't be afraid of buying one of these for use under
linux... they work.

Cheers.

Re: MP3 players.... again... [ In reply to ]
> Just a note, my wife brought home a busted RCA LYRA mp3 player, with 128meg
> internal memory.

...and so does the RCA Lyra Jukebox (RD2820) -- 20GB internal hard
drive, USB1.1 connection. Works great under Windows and Linux as a
standard USB Mass Storage device, formatted as a FAT32 partition.

Re: MP3 players.... again... [ In reply to ]
> ...and so does the RCA Lyra Jukebox (RD2820) -- 20GB internal hard
> drive, USB1.1 connection. Works great under Windows and Linux as a
> standard USB Mass Storage device, formatted as a FAT32 partition.

Do these players lift the song information out of the ID3/ID3v2 tags, or
do they pull it from the filenames?

Thanx,
Dave

Re: MP3 players.... again... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:55:54 -0400, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@comcast.net> wrote:

> Just a note, my wife brought home a busted RCA LYRA mp3 player, with
> 128meg internal memory.

Just about any MP3 player that shows up as a USB mass storage device
and uses VFAT should work. There are some corner cases, for example,
my Archos Jukebox 15, which requires its USB mass storage chipset be
compiled into the kernel.

--
Ed

Re: MP3 players.... again... [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 21 October 2004 10:55 pm, Jerry McBride wrote:

----spin----

> There's a slot on top that accepts a mmc/sd memory card for expansion. I'll
> be testing this feature tomorrow after I score a memory card from Radio
> Shack.

Here's a recap....

On the way to work I stopped at the neighborhood Radio Shack for a new sd
memory card and... The Shack didn't have what I wanted... Off to work I go...

Once at work I rummage through the clutter in my office and found a 512meg
sd/mmc that was left over from a photography effort last year and gave it a
workout in my new found Lyra RD1071... Didn't work. No way in heck could I
mount the memory card... After a bit of fussing, I popped the sd into a
camera and reformatted and once again tried it in my Lyra... still no go.
Then it dawned on me, stupid me, most scsi devices only have one lun... this
mini scsi device had two! So after re-compiling a kernel with "probe all
lun's" enabled... I'm good as gold now.

I mount the 128meg built into the player as /dev/sda1 and the sd memory card
as /dev/sdb1... Life is now good... 640meg of memory or about 133 songs...

More than enough to get me through the day... maybe even tomorrow too!

Cheers all!

Re: MP3 players.... again... [ In reply to ]
On Friday 22 October 2004 11:02 am, David Rea wrote:
> > ...and so does the RCA Lyra Jukebox (RD2820) -- 20GB internal hard
> > drive, USB1.1 connection. Works great under Windows and Linux as a
> > standard USB Mass Storage device, formatted as a FAT32 partition.
>
> Do these players lift the song information out of the ID3/ID3v2 tags, or
> do they pull it from the filenames?

hi Dave...

The RCA LYRA RD1071 that I mentioned uses the file name for display purposes.
It's (the display) not that usefu, as it only has two lines of text. The top
one showing status info; song number playing and running time, with the
second line showing the file name... Like 9 characters by 11 characters
respective. There's a third line, shows little icons for power remaining,
loop/loop random, programming, volume and whether or not you've got a memory
card stuck into it... all in all... basic stuff...

Cheers, Jerry.