gentoo is the first distro that has pulled me away from slackware. I
like the way it is set up and the emerge is a marvelous tool.

Ron

Re: udev problem? [ In reply to ]
Ron Smits wrote:

>Afternoon
>
>I am trying to get udev to work using gentoo-2.6.8.r10 following the
>documentation from Decibel.
>
>I created two entries in grub to boot in either the kernel with udev or
>the same kernel with devfs. When booting into devfs it works without
>problems. When booting into the udev kernel, it boots and then
>completely falls over trying to link material
>from /var/lib/init.d/softlevel/* /etc/init.d. The problem
>is ... /var/lib/init.d/softlevel is file a not a directory so it is not
>able to link all those files.
>
>BTW as a long time (real long time) user of slackware, I must admit that
>gentoo is the first distro that has pulled me away from slackware. I
>like the way it is set up and the emerge is a marvelous tool.
>
>Ron
>

>--

Is the documentation from Decibel the same as the one on gentoo.org? I
have udev enabled and as I can see I have no special entries in grub.
It's a matter of configuring the kernel

--

Adi

Re: udev problem? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 00:41 +0300, Adrian CAPDEFIER wrote:

> Is the documentation from Decibel the same as the one on gentoo.org? I
> have udev enabled and as I can see I have no special entries in grub.
> It's a matter of configuring the kernel

Nope it is not the same. The decibel site goes on where the gentoo site
stops. The strange thing is this not being to copy material from a non
existing directory to /etc/init.d stuff. The udev itself starts up.

Ron
--
In remembrance -- http://www.ronsmits.org

Re: udev problem? [ In reply to ]
Ron Smits wrote:

>Afternoon
>
>I am trying to get udev to work using gentoo-2.6.8.r10 following the
>documentation from Decibel.
>
>I created two entries in grub to boot in either the kernel with udev or
>the same kernel with devfs. When booting into devfs it works without
>problems. When booting into the udev kernel, it boots and then
>completely falls over trying to link material
>from /var/lib/init.d/softlevel/* /etc/init.d. The problem
>is ... /var/lib/init.d/softlevel is file a not a directory so it is not
>able to link all those files.
>
>BTW as a long time (real long time) user of slackware, I must admit that
>gentoo is the first distro that has pulled me away from slackware. I
>like the way it is set up and the emerge is a marvelous tool.
>
>Ron

I just build the 2.6 kernel without devfs support at all. Then I emerge
udev. That's it. I didn't do anything else [other than to reboot].

It is working great for me!

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Spammers please contact me at trap@veldy.net.
Re: udev problem? [ In reply to ]
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> I just build the 2.6 kernel without devfs support at all. Then I
> emerge udev. That's it. I didn't do anything else [other than to
> reboot].
>
> It is working great for me!

Oh yes ... I emerged hotplug as well!

Re: udev problem? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 07:54 -0500, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> I just build the 2.6 kernel without devfs support at all. Then I emerge
> udev. That's it. I didn't do anything else [other than to reboot].
>
> It is working great for me!

I emerged the latest version of udev (0.40) and hotplug and coldplug and
now it is working.

Thanks all for the help

Ron
--