--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Spammers please contact me at trap@veldy.net.
Re: Mysql 4.1 ebuild [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 20 October 2004 14:25, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> I know I have made reference to this before, but searching with Google
> and through old email has not led me any closer to a MySQL 4.1.6
> ebuild. This software is going to be the new production release in very
> short order and many people develop with this and some already use it in
> limitted production work. There is a sore need of this ebuild (even in
> ~arch) availability. I do not see it in portage. I think there should
> be a mysql-devel as well that sports the 5.0 testing versions as well.
> These can always be hard masked or always (~arch). I am building a new
> system that is to utilize the features of 4.1 and I hesititate to come
> up with an ebuild of my own just to have it done here by the "official"
> developer and thus negating my work and pickling my system for the next
> update.
>
> So, can anybody comment on this?
>
> Thanks in advance!

There are 2 bugs open on bugs.gentoo.org with 4.1 ebuilds.
The ebuild for 4.1.4 worked for 4.1.5 with no modifications.
What's holding this up is mostly the different number of arguements expected
to at least one function (mysql_shutdown), causes a number of packages to not
build (libwww, DBD-mysql, possible more). Patches have been written for at
least libwww (I think), but last time I looked no-one had tested to see if it
would still build against 4.0.x.

I do agree it should be in the tree anyway, along with versions of packages
known to work with it.

--
Mike Williams

Re: Mysql 4.1 ebuild [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 20 October 2004 09:11 am, Mike Williams wrote:

> There are 2 bugs open on bugs.gentoo.org with 4.1 ebuilds.
> The ebuild for 4.1.4 worked for 4.1.5 with no modifications.
> What's holding this up is mostly the different number of arguements
> expected to at least one function (mysql_shutdown), causes a number of
> packages to not build (libwww, DBD-mysql, possible more). Patches have been
> written for at least libwww (I think), but last time I looked no-one had
> tested to see if it would still build against 4.0.x.

Um.. If this is true, then how are all of the other distro's using it?

This is taking entirely too long.. I know DBD-mysql released fixes for this..
This also doesnt take away the fact that an ebuild can be sitting there, hard
masked even. How is this stuff going to get fixed if we cant start getting
into it? I have been watching the thread on b.g.o, and they seem to be using
it fine..

No, I am not blaming you, just ranting.. :)

Jeff