Mailing List Archive

Touchpad Question
I've finally got kde working great on my laptop using xorg's x11.

(thank you very much everyone who contributed from the listserve)

Now, I'm having some very strange things happen when I try to use my
touchpad. (a synaptics touchpad on a compaq presario laptop)

After I got x11 working, the touchpad worked great in the dummy window
manager that is loaded by default. There were no problems that I could
see.

And agian, when I loaded kde for the very first time, there were no
problems with the touchpad. However, in subsequent times that I run kde,
my touchpad is behaving very strangly. It seems that every time I perform
an action on the touchpad, either moving the pointer or clicking a button,
the cursor moves ten pixels on its own. I can find no logical reason for
this. For example, if I set the curor on the middle of the desktop with
no application underneath it and click ten or twenty times, the cursor
will magically end up in the top right hand corner of my desktop. Has
anyone ever encountered this type of behavior?

It is very frustrating and I would be very grateful for any help.

Thank you very much in advance!

-JD Huntington

Re: Touchpad Question [ In reply to ]
Answer to my own question...

I found that simply unplugging all usb devices caused this problem to go
away immediately.

Now I have another question that relates to usb in general...

I have a usb hub, and connected to it is an apple keyboard and a microsoft
mouse. When I boot into linux, the apple keyboard works fine, but I have
no idea how to access the mouse. I've tried doing the "cat
/dev/input/eventX" and all variations of that method, but I haven't been
able to find any way to access my usb mouse. Is there a simple fix for
this that I'm not finding?

Also, when I plug in this usb hub while linux is running, it doesn't seem
to acknowledge that something has been plugged in. Nothing powers up, it
just sits there. I've compiled my kernel with usb and the hid options all
built in, not as modules if that makes a difference in the solution.

Thanks very much

Re: Touchpad Question [ In reply to ]
JD Huntington wrote:

>Also, when I plug in this usb hub while linux is running, it doesn't seem
>to acknowledge that something has been plugged in. Nothing powers up, it
>just sits there. I've compiled my kernel with usb and the hid options all
>built in, not as modules if that makes a difference in the solution.

You could try udev[1]

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml

--

Adi