its got an Adaptec AIC-7880 scsi controller onboard

thanks

nick

Re: dell poweredge 2200 [ In reply to ]
Nick Smith wrote:

> anyone have experience installing gentoo on a poweredge 2200? install
> keeps locking up when it searches for the scsi module hangs on this line:
>
> :: Scanning for sym53c8xx...scsi_transport_spi,
>
> any ideas? i have have tried to cut out almost everything i can think of:
>
> smp doscsi nodetect nousb noraid nohotplug noapic
>
> and nothing gets it past that point.
>
> any ideas?
>
> its got an Adaptec AIC-7880 scsi controller onboard
>
> thanks
>
> nick

ADDITION::

it does work with the gentoo kernel, it shouldnt matter what kernel i
use for installing right? cause i can pick my kernel further into the
install that i want? because i do want the 2.6 kernel.

thanks for the info..

nick

Re: dell poweredge 2200 [ In reply to ]
Nick Smith wrote:

> Nick Smith wrote:
>
>> anyone have experience installing gentoo on a poweredge 2200? install
>> keeps locking up when it searches for the scsi module hangs on this
>> line:
>>
>> :: Scanning for sym53c8xx...scsi_transport_spi,
>>
>> any ideas? i have have tried to cut out almost everything i can think
>> of:
>>
>> smp doscsi nodetect nousb noraid nohotplug noapic
>>
>> and nothing gets it past that point.
>>
>> any ideas?
>>
>> its got an Adaptec AIC-7880 scsi controller onboard
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> nick
>>
>> --
>>
> ADDITION::
>
> it does work with the gentoo kernel, it shouldnt matter what kernel i
> use for installing right? cause i can pick my kernel further into the
> install that i want? because i do want the 2.6 kernel.
>
> thanks for the info..
>
> nick

IIRC the Gentoo LiveCD uses 2.4 by default. If you choose SMP it
will use the 2.6 kernel. Be sure that you boot the LiveCD using the 2.6
kernel and verify that it is working correctly.
Once running, check out dmesg, the logs, and lsmod. That should
give you a rough approximation of what is needed for a 2.6 kernel on
your machine.

Egil