emerge xorg-x11. However I no longer have access to the console by
hitting ctrl-alt-f1 (or f2-6).

Can someone point to where I might fix this?

Actually I just had a look around /etc/X11 - i have no xorg.conf (only
xorg.conf.example). The log /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows it using the
config file /etc/X11/XF86Config - ie the xfree file.
--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: no more ctrl-alt-f1 after upgrade xfree-xorg [ In reply to ]
Nick Rout wrote:
> I finally changed my desktop at home from xfree to xorg-x11 last night.
>
> i now have xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1 on an athlon 1133 with an nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400
> using nvidia-kernel-1.0.6111-r2.
>
> the box fired up to X straight away no problems after emerge -C xfree &&
> emerge xorg-x11. However I no longer have access to the console by
> hitting ctrl-alt-f1 (or f2-6).
>
> Can someone point to where I might fix this?
>

> Actually I just had a look around /etc/X11 - i have no xorg.conf (only
> xorg.conf.example). The log /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows it using the
> config file /etc/X11/XF86Config - ie the xfree file.

If you're using gdm, take a look at gdm.conf, and if it has

VTAllocation=true

set it to false. I have a vague rcollection that this fixed a similar
problem for me.

Re: Re: no more ctrl-alt-f1 after upgrade xfree-xorg [ In reply to ]
You may try looking around Xorg logs for problems with xkb. When I
upgraded from xorg 6.7 to 6.8, dispatch-conf somehow destroyed xkbcomp
binary (which appears under /etc/X11/xkb), I got message about
reverting to pre-XKB keyboard in logs and ctrl-alt-f1 didn't work, as
didn't work switching keyboard layouts with setxkbmap. Solved by
reinstalling xorg and being more carefull with dispatch-conf.

You may also try running something like "setxkbmap -model pc102
-layout us", if it works and fixes your problem, then you have
probably just configured wrong keyboard type/layout in xorg.conf.

Re: no more ctrl-alt-f1 after upgrade xfree-xorg [ In reply to ]
Nick Rout wrote:

> I finally changed my desktop at home from xfree to xorg-x11 last night.
>
> i now have xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1 on an athlon 1133 with an nvidia GeForce2
> MX/MX 400 using nvidia-kernel-1.0.6111-r2.
>
> the box fired up to X straight away no problems after emerge -C xfree &&
> emerge xorg-x11. However I no longer have access to the console by
> hitting ctrl-alt-f1 (or f2-6).
>
> Can someone point to where I might fix this?
>

> Actually I just had a look around /etc/X11 - i have no xorg.conf (only
> xorg.conf.example). The log /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows it using the
> config file /etc/X11/XF86Config - ie the xfree file.
I had this problem and found in my xorg log that I had some kind of xkbcomp
error. The result was that it was falling back to a keyboard that didn't
want to recognize CTRL+ALT+F#.
What I found was that /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp (also symlinked
as /etc/X11/xkb/xkbcomp) was zero bytes.
I think it can happen if the binary file is diffed (like with etc-update or
dispatch-conf).
Anyway I renamed the xkb directory, then re-emerged xorg-x11 then renamed
the .lots_of_strange_characters_xkbcomp file to xkbcomp rather than messing
with the etc-update or dispatch-conf.

If by some chance you have a backup of the old xkbcomp file, that might work
to (that will save you the time to re-emerge xorg-x11)

--
Jim