thoughts about this.

Thanks in advance, best regards
Jose

Re: Backup software [ In reply to ]
> * Snapshot backups of live file systems (don't wanna have to stop my
> web/mail/database server to do the backup)

You might also want to look at dar: http://dar.linux.free.fr/
It's one of the few programs I've run across that will backup a live
filesystem, *and* do differential backups.

Re: Backup software [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 19 October 2004 22:16, James Hiscock wrote:
> > * Snapshot backups of live file systems (don't wanna have to stop my
> > web/mail/database server to do the backup)
>
> You might also want to look at dar: http://dar.linux.free.fr/
> It's one of the few programs I've run across that will backup a live
> filesystem, *and* do differential backups.

rdiff-backup also does that.

--
Mike Williams
Re: Backup software [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 05:31, Mike Williams wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 October 2004 22:16, James Hiscock wrote:
> > > * Snapshot backups of live file systems (don't wanna have to stop my
> > > web/mail/database server to do the backup)
> >
> > You might also want to look at dar: http://dar.linux.free.fr/
> > It's one of the few programs I've run across that will backup a live
> > filesystem, *and* do differential backups.
>
> rdiff-backup also does that.

Here's the poor man's version of it that i've tested.

1. Partimage
Pro : Like Ghost/Ghost for Unix but is actually on Linux. You can use
distros like Knoppix / UltimateBootCD, etc. supports gzip/bzip2 and can
restore to where you want. (Note : If the restore partitions are
different in size, will have to use fdisk to _fix_ it)
Cons : Most likely hav to be off-line. Meaning, Boot into the CDrom and
then partimage away.

2. Rsync
Pro : Can be done on a Live-filesystem. (use nice -n 19) Backs up
everything incl the kitchen sink. Can be used as incremental backup.
Cons : Errr..err... Slow when using it 1st time. (refer to item 3 for
1st time)

3. Tar
Pro : Faster than rsync when doing it the 1st time. ( tar lcf - . | ( cd
/path/to/new-location; tar xvpf - ) Can be safely stored into
CD-Rom/DVD-Rom
Cons : No incremental backups. (unsure)

4. mirrordir
Pro : Roughly same function as the above. Suitable for 'poor-man's raid'
Cons : Resource intensive.

Of the above, I still think rsync is the best for your needs.

There's also http://www.dirvish.org, and
http://www.keithl.com/linuxbackup.html

rsync/dirvish is fast, inexpensive, and restoring single files or
subsystems is random access and dead easy. With some advanced
preparation, I can restore an exact image of my server hard drive with
a reboot and about a minute of typing, followed by the time required
to copy a disk image - 2 hours for 80gb in my case. I can very easily
combine restores, using (for example) a two-week-old base, then
upgrades, then yesterday's user files, to recover from a system crack.
All from one script, off the same backup drive.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel

Re: Backup software [ In reply to ]
Jose Gonzalez Gomez schrieb:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm searching for some backup software with the following
> requirements:
>
> * Capability to scale from a single machine to backups of full
> networks
> * Possibility of using different backup media (tape, CD, DVD, HD,...)
> * Ease of maintenance and recovery, preferably with unattended
> operation (don't wanna be hanging around changing tapes)
> * Snapshot backups of live file systems (don't wanna have to stop my
> web/mail/database server to do the backup)
> * Ready to go (so please, don't tell me to use tar / cpio / mt)
> * Of course open source
>
> After a preliminary search, I've found Amanda, Mondo Rescue and
> Bacula, all of them in portage. I would like to hear experiences, and
> thoughts about this.
>
> Thanks in advance, best regards
> Jose

I'm currently playing around with bacula. While it is not easy to
configure for multiple clients it has a lot of features and can run
fully automated and there is also a Windows client. cd/dvd-Backups are
(afaik) only possible if you save to hd first, but you can specify the
archive size so thats not much of a Problem. The only catch is that if
you want to backup to one file(disk) per client you have to specify a
media pool for every client :/
Perhaps someday there will be a nice configuration-ui ;)

Hope this helps