Hi all,

I've tried 2 cardbus wifi devices and I can't get them to work on Gentoo.

So, I think I'll buy another one, but I need to be sure it will work
well (with Linux NATIVE drivers -- i.e. no ndiswrapper) on Linux, and it
must to be 802.11g.

Can anyone recommend a model?

[]'s
Mauro

Re: recommendations to a cardbus 802.11g [ In reply to ]
Mauro Faccenda wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've tried 2 cardbus wifi devices and I can't get them to work on Gentoo.
>
> So, I think I'll buy another one, but I need to be sure it will work
> well (with Linux NATIVE drivers -- i.e. no ndiswrapper) on Linux, and
> it must to be 802.11g.
>
> Can anyone recommend a model?
>
> []'s
> Mauro

At present, there are 3 different 802.11g chipsets that have Linux
support.

1. Intel Pro Wireless 2200 - drivers are available in ebuild format -
the name of the ebuild is ipw2200
2. Atheros - again, drivers are available in the ebuild format - the
name of the ebuild is madwifi-driver
3. Prism54 - these drivers are in the kernel, you need only enable the
option for them, and download the firmware from
http://prism54.org/~mcgrof/firmware/1.0.4.3.arm and mv mv ~/1.0.4.3.arm
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/isl3890 and have hotplug installed and added
to your default runlevel.

in my experience, Prism54 works best

Netgear WG511 is an 802.11g with the Prism54 chipset.