just to get Gentoo back up and running, am I?

Thanks for any help.

Nick

Re: Big Problem - fdisk, Unable to open drive!? [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:55:53 +0000
Nicholas Pappas <npappas@rightstep.org> wrote:

> I think I have a big problem here. During a recent rebuild of
> my
> system, I rebooted when I was all done only to be presented with a
> huge list of mount errors. I rebooted into Knoppix (where I install
> from) and tried to run fdisk - 'fdisk /dev/hde' - and keep getting a
> message that fdisk can not open the drive!

It would be actually very useful to see the actual error message.
/dev/hde sounds like you're using some kind of external IDE controller?
Are there special modules needed for that? What does

$ dmesg|grep -C 3 "ide"

say?

Hans-Werner

Re: Big Problem - fdisk, Unable to open drive!? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the response Hans!
The drive is actually a SATA drive. Knoppix just happens to pick up as
hde.
I did figure out the problem though. I'm back up and running with a
nice clean install of Gentoo. :)