Mailing List Archive

Corrupted HD partition
After a power failure at home, I have a hard drive partition
(/dev/hda4) that will not mount. I get the following errors from fsck:

# jfs_fsck -v -f /dev/hda4
jfs_fsck version 1.1.4, 30-Oct-2003
processing started: 10/19/2004 9.12.23
The current device is: /dev/hda4
Open(...READ/WRITE EXCLUSIVE...) returned rc = 0
Primary superblock is valid.
The type of file system for the device is JFS.
Block size in bytes: 4096
Filesystem size in blocks: 42198738
**Phase 0 - Replay Journal Log
LOGREDO: Log already redone!
logredo returned rc = 0
**Phase 1 - Check Blocks, Files/Directories, and Directory Entries
Unrecoverable error reading M from /dev/hda4. CANNOT CONTINUE.
Fatal error (-10015,30) accessing the filesystem (1,133353553920,16384,0).
processing terminated: 10/19/2004 9:12:39 with return code: -10015
exit code: 8.

Is there any hope of recovering the data from this partition?

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Corrupted HD partition [ In reply to ]
I just went through something similar with reiserfs. A quick google
search yielded this:

http://en.ecomstation.ru/showarticle.php?id=91

There are a number of utilities available for rescuing disks. The
LiveCD had most of what I needed. You'll need to find a bootable CD
that has what you need.

--Kurt

Re: Corrupted HD partition [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:10:17 -0400, Kurt Guenther <kurtg@serent.com> wrote:

> I just went through something similar with reiserfs. A quick google
> search yielded this:
>
> http://en.ecomstation.ru/showarticle.php?id=91
>
> There are a number of utilities available for rescuing disks. The
> LiveCD had most of what I needed. You'll need to find a bootable CD
> that has what you need.
>
> --Kurt

Thank you for the link. Of interest, I found that I can mount the
partition read-only... is there some way to extract the contents of
the partition and check the integrety of that information. Probably
something involving dd and a loopback device?

Presumably, if I could get the info off the partition, I could
re-format the parititon and write the data to it.

Matt

Re: Corrupted HD partition [ In reply to ]
Matthew Cline wrote:

> Probably
>
>something involving dd and a loopback device?

Funny you should ask:

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/

(No relation to me.)

--Kurt

Re: Corrupted HD partition [ In reply to ]
> Funny you should ask:
>
> http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
>
> (No relation to me.)
>
> --Kurt

Interestingly, I was able to use dd_rescue to pull the data from the
partition, and dd_rescue reported no errors. So, if there are no
errors in the data (as reported by dd_rescue), could I simply copy the
data from the partition, re-format the partition, then copy the data
back?

Matt

Re: Corrupted HD partition [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 19 October 2004 20:26, Matthew Cline wrote:
> > Funny you should ask:
> >
> > http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
> >
> > (No relation to me.)
> >
> > --Kurt
>
> Interestingly, I was able to use dd_rescue to pull the data from the
> partition, and dd_rescue reported no errors. So, if there are no
> errors in the data (as reported by dd_rescue), could I simply copy
> the data from the partition, re-format the partition, then copy the
> data back?

Unuseful...

It would put you back at the starting point...

IMHO it means your disk isn't damaged, just the filesystem needs
repairing, now you can try a FS recovery tool on your source partition
_OR_ on the file created by dd_rescue (loopback mounted somewhere
else). In the latter case, once tested everything's ok you can use
dd_rescue to copy the partition back on its place.

HTH
Ciao
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.9-rc4, Compiled #2 Thu Oct 14 20:40:19 CEST 2004
One 1.53GHz AMD Athlon XP Processor, 1.5GB RAM, 3022.84 Bogomips Total

Re: Re: Corrupted HD partition [ In reply to ]
You're getting past my knowledge.

I think you now have a copy of your damaged drive, so you can be more aggressive with trying to recover the disk. No small feat, as I lost all my work with the `reiserfsck --rebuild /dev/xxx` command (although it may have been pilot error given my inexperience with RAID).

If you mount read-only, then you can also back things up and then reformat/recover. (Although, you may have truncated or corrupted files that you'll need to discover.

Also, make sure that you have the lastest jfs tools. There may be an update that can help fix the problem you have.

--Kurt

Re: Re: Corrupted HD partition [ In reply to ]
Just to give you an update on my problem, I was able to copy the
contents of the partition to a seperate hard drive, re-format the
partition, then copy the contents back. I haven't noticed any data
loss as of yet.

I would like to thank everyone who helped me resolve this problem. I
had about 30GBs of data on that partition.

Matt