files that come with some apps these days. That is, something akin to
scribbling notes in book margin.

I don't know a thing about pdf format or creation but wondered if it
might be possible to insert links that would bring up my own notes at
specific places inside a pdf file.

Do we have tools to edit pdf files? And if so, can they do something
like described above? Anyone care to coach me a bit if it is
possible?

Re: [OT] Taking notes in pdf help files [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:32:42 -0500, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Sorry to be a bit off topic with this, but couldn't really think of
> good place to post this.
>
> I'd like to create my personal notes inside some of the *.pdf help
> files that come with some apps these days. That is, something akin to
> scribbling notes in book margin.
>
> I don't know a thing about pdf format or creation but wondered if it
> might be possible to insert links that would bring up my own notes at
> specific places inside a pdf file.
>
> Do we have tools to edit pdf files? And if so, can they do something
> like described above? Anyone care to coach me a bit if it is
> possible?

You should try Scribus. It can create notes in PDF-files. But it is
not yet possible to open PDF-files, but you can import PS-files. So
you have to convert your PDF to PS, import it into Scribus, add notes
and save it as PDF.

Robert.

Re: [OT] Taking notes in pdf help files [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 18:08, Robert G. Siebeck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:32:42 -0500, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to create my personal notes inside some of the *.pdf help
> > files that come with some apps these days. That is, something akin to
> > scribbling notes in book margin.

> You should try Scribus. It can create notes in PDF-files. But it is
> not yet possible to open PDF-files, but you can import PS-files. So
> you have to convert your PDF to PS, import it into Scribus, add notes
> and save it as PDF.

I know that adobe Acrobat 6 (Pro) can do that. hehe..

Not sure what else can do it.