that all i need? do i need to look at anything else? suggestions welcome

thanks

nick

Re: proxy solution [ In reply to ]
Andres Moore wrote:

>emerge squid
>
>Squid documentation
>http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/
>

>On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:38:47 +0000, Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com> wrote:
>

>>im looking at setting up a secure anonymous proxy server that will offer
>>a secure internet connection for people to surf with, dialup or connect
>>with whatever provider they have and set their browser settings to my
>>proxy and surf securely, what would be the best software for this? is
>>proxy the right solution? which package would be the easiest and most
>>efficient for this, probably no more than 100 users to start. and is
>>that all i need? do i need to look at anything else? suggestions welcome
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>nick
>>
>>--

does the machine need two nics or can the incoming and outgoing be on
the same nic?

Re: proxy solution [ In reply to ]
emerge squid

Squid documentation
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:38:47 +0000, Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com> wrote:
> im looking at setting up a secure anonymous proxy server that will offer
> a secure internet connection for people to surf with, dialup or connect
> with whatever provider they have and set their browser settings to my
> proxy and surf securely, what would be the best software for this? is
> proxy the right solution? which package would be the easiest and most
> efficient for this, probably no more than 100 users to start. and is
> that all i need? do i need to look at anything else? suggestions welcome
>
> thanks
>
> nick

---

When we are young
Wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal
For a limited time

Neil Peart - Dreamline

RE: proxy solution [ In reply to ]
Squid IS the solution.
I work with it for over 2 years and it is very flexible and very
powerful.
There are alot of features so you need to take some time to learn the
program.
You also have addons for the logfiles so that you can see who did what.
I use sarge for that (you can find links to it on the squid website)

Cheers
Philippe.

> im looking at setting up a secure anonymous proxy server that will
> offer a secure internet connection for people to surf with, dialup or
> connect with whatever provider they have and set their browser
> settings to my proxy and surf securely, what would be the best
> software for this? is proxy the right solution? which package would
> be the easiest and most efficient for this, probably no more than 100
> users to start. and is that all i need? do i need to look at anything
> else? suggestions welcome
>
> thanks
>
> nick

---

When we are young
Wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth Learning that we're only
immortal For a limited time

Neil Peart - Dreamline

Disclaimer :

This e-mail is intended for the exclusive use by the person(s) mentioned as recipient(s).
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately.
This e-mail does not constitute any commitment for Sea-Ro Terminal N.V. or its subsidiaries except when expressly otherwise
agreed in a written agreement between the intended recipient and the originating subsidiaries of Sea-Ro Terminal N.V.
Sea-Ro Terminal and each of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.

This mail has been checked for viruses by Symantec and Trend Micro.

Re: proxy solution [ In reply to ]
> does the machine need two nics or can the incoming and outgoing be on
> the same nic?

Oh god....
can you do some google or RTM first?
There are a LOT of companies that can do the work of installing Squid for you.
If you want to use OPEN SOURCE, please, dont expect all in a
plate...take some time and read the documents firts.

You can do in both ways, with one nic or two...
If you want to do this transparent, use two nic.

andres

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:34:32 +0000, Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com> wrote:
> Andres Moore wrote:
>
> >emerge squid
> >
> >Squid documentation
> >http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/
> >

> >On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:38:47 +0000, Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com> wrote:
> >

> >>im looking at setting up a secure anonymous proxy server that will offer
> >>a secure internet connection for people to surf with, dialup or connect
> >>with whatever provider they have and set their browser settings to my
> >>proxy and surf securely, what would be the best software for this? is
> >>proxy the right solution? which package would be the easiest and most
> >>efficient for this, probably no more than 100 users to start. and is
> >>that all i need? do i need to look at anything else? suggestions welcome
> >>
> >>thanks
> >>
> >>nick
> >>
> >>--
> >>

> does the machine need two nics or can the incoming and outgoing be on
> the same nic?

---

Re: proxy solution [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 05:37, Andres Moore wrote:
> > does the machine need two nics or can the incoming and outgoing be on
> > the same nic?
>
> Oh god....
> can you do some google or RTM first?

Hey.. be easy on the OP. I know what it feels like to be a newbie. But
seriously, since he's already given the link/suggestion to squid, the
uptake is his but...

> You can do in both ways, with one nic or two...
> If you want to do this transparent, use two nic.

The way I've done it, I'm using only 1 NIC. and since it's on 1 machine,
(my laptop) I use the loopback address.

In addition to that, it can also listen to the NIC for _permitted_
requests (say from local lan) to do the proxying.

It can also function as transparent (if the PC housing squid is also the
gateway) else 2 NICs would be needed.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel