and I don't want to take a long learning curve. The MTA does not have to be
able to receive/forward anything, just sending is okay.

Qmail, Exim, postfix, sendmail, courier ... None of them seems easy to me:(
--
锐业软服 Real SoftService
http://www.realss.com
技术服务电话: 0086 592 2086411
Technical Contact: 0086 592 2086411

Re: what's the easiest MTA avaiable? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 18 October 2004 2:49 pm, 韡武 张 wrote:
> Hello. I am not asking what's the BEST easiest MTA, because it is a stupid
> question.
>
> I am now using ssmtp but the mailhub is not always available (and ssmtp is
> not able to queue). So I wish I could set up my own MTA on my notebook.
> Because I am behind NAT firewall, it is not necessary to let the MTA
> receive emails.
>
> Now, what's the MTA for me? I wish to pick up the easiest, because I am
> busy and I don't want to take a long learning curve. The MTA does not have
> to be able to receive/forward anything, just sending is okay.
>
> Qmail, Exim, postfix, sendmail, courier ... None of them seems easy to me:(

postfix fits really into my needs, I used sendmail before, for a long time,
and though I can say, postfix is much easier to setup and administer than the
other one. qmail, exim... hmmm.... I'm not that friend of them. courier?
well, I once tried it out where the smtp part weren't that stable but it may
have changed by now, however, I'm using there POP3/IMAP server with
postfix ;)

Regards,
Christian Parpart.

--
Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
15:08:07 up 55 days, 2:47, 3 users, load average: 0.23, 0.21, 0.22
Re: what's the easiest MTA avaiable? [ In reply to ]
韡武 张 wrote:
> Hello. I am not asking what's the BEST easiest MTA, because it is a stupid
> question.
>
> I am now using ssmtp but the mailhub is not always available (and ssmtp is
> not able to queue). So I wish I could set up my own MTA on my notebook.
> Because I am behind NAT firewall, it is not necessary to let the MTA receive
> emails.
>
> Now, what's the MTA for me? I wish to pick up the easiest, because I am busy
> and I don't want to take a long learning curve. The MTA does not have to be
> able to receive/forward anything, just sending is okay.
>
> Qmail, Exim, postfix, sendmail, courier ... None of them seems easy to me:(

It is very easy to setup any of those MTA's just for sending. All you
have to do is to emerge them, make shure that they listen on port 25,
and put your own IP in relaying list. Than in your mail client put
localhost as SMTP server and you are set.

Re: what's the easiest MTA avaiable? [ In reply to ]
韡武 张 wrote:
> Hello. I am not asking what's the BEST easiest MTA, because it is a stupid
> question.
>
> I am now using ssmtp but the mailhub is not always available (and ssmtp is
> not able to queue). So I wish I could set up my own MTA on my notebook.
> Because I am behind NAT firewall, it is not necessary to let the MTA receive
> emails.
>
> Now, what's the MTA for me? I wish to pick up the easiest, because I am busy
> and I don't want to take a long learning curve. The MTA does not have to be
> able to receive/forward anything, just sending is okay.
>
> Qmail, Exim, postfix, sendmail, courier ... None of them seems easy to me:(

I just glanced over the portage. I think nbsmtp, ssmtp, esmtp are not my
cup of tea? Because they all need a mailhub, that means another working
smtp server is necessary.

Re: what's the easiest MTA avaiable? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, [UTF-8] é^_¡æ­¦ å¼  wrote:

> Hello. I am not asking what's the BEST easiest MTA, because it is a stupid
> question.
>
> I am now using ssmtp but the mailhub is not always available (and ssmtp is
> not able to queue). So I wish I could set up my own MTA on my notebook.
> Because I am behind NAT firewall, it is not necessary to let the MTA receive
> emails.
>
> Now, what's the MTA for me? I wish to pick up the easiest, because I am busy
> and I don't want to take a long learning curve. The MTA does not have to be
> able to receive/forward anything, just sending is okay.
>
> Qmail, Exim, postfix, sendmail, courier ... None of them seems easy to me:(

nullmailer is like ssmtp, except it queues and logs.

--
Sometimes the garbage disposal gods demand a spoon
() The ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML Email,

Re: what's the easiest MTA avaiable? [ In reply to ]
Khan wrote:
> 韡武 张 wrote:
>
>> Hello. I am not asking what's the BEST easiest MTA, because it is a
>> stupid
>> question.
>> I am now using ssmtp but the mailhub is not always available (and
>> ssmtp is
>> not able to queue). So I wish I could set up my own MTA on my notebook.
>> Because I am behind NAT firewall, it is not necessary to let the MTA
>> receive
>> emails.
>>
>> Now, what's the MTA for me? I wish to pick up the easiest, because I
>> am busy
>> and I don't want to take a long learning curve. The MTA does not have
>> to be
>> able to receive/forward anything, just sending is okay.
>> Qmail, Exim, postfix, sendmail, courier ... None of them seems easy to
>> me:(
>

> It is very easy to setup any of those MTA's just for sending. All you
> have to do is to emerge them, make shure that they listen on port 25,
> and put your own IP in relaying list. Than in your mail client put
> localhost as SMTP server and you are set.
If what you said is true...
Look at this: (size of source)
Qmail 336KB
exim 1.7MB
sendmail 2.1MB
postfix 2.4MB
courier 4.1MB

Because I prefer simple, lightweight, perhaps I need QMail? I think I'll
use it. But, I prefer the MTA use system account. I guess qmail must be
able to do it:)

This surprised me:
xmail 390KB
xmail is so small, with so many features described in description: it
include both MTA and MDA, and a finger server. Perhaps this means xmail
is not mature?
But wait! Xmail does not conflict with ssmtp that installed on my
system. Perhaps this means it could not be used as a drop-in replacement
of sendmail?

Re: what's the easiest MTA avaiable? [ In reply to ]
From what I understand from the ones we looked at:

Sendmail is horrible. QMail is good but quirky. No idea about the others.

We use Postfix mainly because when we started we wanted something easy to
setup and administer. So I would say postfix and administer via Webmin.

Kevin.

Re: what's the easiest MTA avaiable? [ In reply to ]
韡武 张 <zhangweiwu@realss.com> writes:

> Hello. I am not asking what's the BEST easiest MTA, because it is a stupid
> question.
>
> I am now using ssmtp but the mailhub is not always available (and ssmtp is
> not able to queue). So I wish I could set up my own MTA on my notebook.
> Because I am behind NAT firewall, it is not necessary to let the MTA receive
> emails.
>
> Now, what's the MTA for me? I wish to pick up the easiest, because I am busy
> and I don't want to take a long learning curve. The MTA does not have to be
> able to receive/forward anything, just sending is okay.
>
> Qmail, Exim, postfix, sendmail, courier ... None of them seems easy to me:(

Here's a link to Linus' comments on Qmail:

<http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/6/6/9>
--
Hilsen Harald