any way for the normal user to make use of both processors?

--

Adi

Re: ntpl and hyperthreading [ In reply to ]
Adrian CAPDEFIER wrote:

> I have a PIV with HT. Last night I reemerged glibc with USE="ntpl" and
> now it seems that the normal user can only use one "processor". Is there
> any way for the normal user to make use of both processors?

I just noticed this but when compiling a kernel, the normal user still
uses the same processor and it goes so sloooow

Tasks: 91 total, 4 running, 87 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu0 : 90.8% us, 7.6% sy, 0.0% ni, 0.0% id, 1.3% wa, 0.3% hi, 0.0% si
Cpu1 : 0.0% us, 0.3% sy, 0.0% ni, 99.7% id, 0.0% wa, 0.0% hi, 0.0% si

--

Adi

Re: nptl (or nptl) and hyperthreading - don't use swsusp2 [ In reply to ]
Adrian CAPDEFIER wrote:
> Adrian CAPDEFIER wrote:
>

>> I have a PIV with HT. Last night I reemerged glibc with USE="ntpl" and
>> now it seems that the normal user can only use one "processor". Is
>> there any way for the normal user to make use of both processors?
>>

> I just noticed this but when compiling a kernel, the normal user still
> uses the same processor and it goes so sloooow
>
> Tasks: 91 total, 4 running, 87 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
> Cpu0 : 90.8% us, 7.6% sy, 0.0% ni, 0.0% id, 1.3% wa, 0.3% hi,
> 0.0% si
> Cpu1 : 0.0% us, 0.3% sy, 0.0% ni, 99.7% id, 0.0% wa, 0.0% hi,
> 0.0% si

replying to myself :) ... again

I'm afraid I was a bit hasty in blaming nptl and miss spelling it. It
seems the problem was not with glibc and/or nptl but rather with the
(one of) swsusp2 patches I applied.
It seems that swsusp2 does not play nice with smp.

--
Adi