# adduser -d /home/vmail -s /bin/false vmail
# uid=`cat /etc/passwd | grep vmail | cut -f 3 -d :`
# groupadd -g $uid vmail
# mkdir /home/vmail
# chown vmail: /home/vmail

in the groupadd line what does $uid mean?

thanks

nick

Re: answer this equation [ In reply to ]
On 10/13/2004 09:45 PM, Nick Smith wrote:
> # adduser -d /home/vmail -s /bin/false vmail
> # uid=`cat /etc/passwd | grep vmail | cut -f 3 -d :`
> # groupadd -g $uid vmail
> # mkdir /home/vmail
> # chown vmail: /home/vmail
>
> in the groupadd line what does $uid mean?
>
> thanks
>
> nick

$uid will be the output of the command chain

cat /etc/passwd | grep vmail | cut -f 3 -d :

This will print the uid of the user vmail.

Jochen

Re: answer this equation [ In reply to ]
Jochen Schalanda wrote:

> On 10/13/2004 09:45 PM, Nick Smith wrote:
>
>> # adduser -d /home/vmail -s /bin/false vmail
>> # uid=`cat /etc/passwd | grep vmail | cut -f 3 -d :`
>> # groupadd -g $uid vmail
>> # mkdir /home/vmail
>> # chown vmail: /home/vmail
>>
>> in the groupadd line what does $uid mean?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> nick
>>

>> --
>>

> $uid will be the output of the command chain
>
> cat /etc/passwd | grep vmail | cut -f 3 -d :
>
> This will print the uid of the user vmail.
>
> Jochen

but it doesnt tell me anything, nothing happens and i cant do groupadd
-g to finish the process, so how can i find out $uid?

nick

Re: answer this equation [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:11:07 +0000
Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com> wrote:

> Jochen Schalanda wrote:
>
> > On 10/13/2004 09:45 PM, Nick Smith wrote:
> >
> >> # adduser -d /home/vmail -s /bin/false vmail
> >> # uid=`cat /etc/passwd | grep vmail | cut -f 3 -d :`
> >> # groupadd -g $uid vmail
> >> # mkdir /home/vmail
> >> # chown vmail: /home/vmail
> >>
> >> in the groupadd line what does $uid mean?
> >>
> >> thanks
> >>
> >> nick
> >>

> >> --
> >>

> > $uid will be the output of the command chain
> >
> > cat /etc/passwd | grep vmail | cut -f 3 -d :
> >
> > This will print the uid of the user vmail.
> >
> > Jochen
> >
> > --
> >
> but it doesnt tell me anything, nothing happens and i cant do groupadd
> -g to finish the process, so how can i find out $uid?

nick - engage brain for heaven's sake

look at /etc/passwd - did the vmail user get created? if so what is its
user id?

I suggest that if the output cat /etc/passwd | grep vmail | cut -f 3 -d:
is blank its likely the vmail user did not get made.

start chopping the expression into smaller bits: what is the output ogf
the following?

cat /etc/passwd|grep vmail

try it with a known user

cat /etc/passwd|grep nick

and if all you want is the user id of a user, on a one off basis, simply
parse /etc/passwd with your eyes!

another nick :)