partition, but when 'emerge openoffice' the build fails because the partition
gets full. I tried to mave /var/tmp/portage somewhere else and symlink it, but
that failes... I get an ACCESS DENIED when trying to create the 'work'
subdirectory.

Any ideas? 2.6.8.1 kernel. reiserfs.

--
Gabriel M. Beddingfield
gabriel@teuton.org

Re: /var/tmp/portage out of space [ In reply to ]
Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

>I've run into trouble with compiling OpenOffice. I have /var on a 3GB
>partition, but when 'emerge openoffice' the build fails because the partition
>gets full. I tried to mave /var/tmp/portage somewhere else and symlink it, but
>that failes... I get an ACCESS DENIED when trying to create the 'work'
>subdirectory.
>
>Any ideas? 2.6.8.1 kernel. reiserfs.

Is /var/tmp/portage empty before trying to emerge OpenOffice? How much
space is left on this partition?

I don't remember how much space it needs, but I guess that 3G (or maybe
even 2G) would be more than enough.

I'll be building OpenOffice myself overnight, I'll try to keep track of
hard disk and RAM usage during that time.

Francisco

Re: /var/tmp/portage out of space [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:33:15 -0600, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> I've run into trouble with compiling OpenOffice. I have /var on a 3GB
> partition, but when 'emerge openoffice' the build fails because the
> partition gets full. I tried to mave /var/tmp/portage somewhere else
> and symlink it, but that failes... I get an ACCESS DENIED when trying
> to create the 'work' subdirectory.

Don't symlink, change PORTAGE_TMPDIR in /etc/make.conf.

--
Neil Bothwick

Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs.
Re: /var/tmp/portage out of space [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:

> Don't symlink, change PORTAGE_TMPDIR in /etc/make.conf.

BOO-YAH!!! Thanks, Neil. That worked perfect.

--
Gabriel M. Beddingfield

Re: /var/tmp/portage out of space [ In reply to ]
Francisco J. A. Ares wrote:

> Is /var/tmp/portage empty before trying to emerge OpenOffice? How much
> space is left on this partition?

3GB partition. 'df -h' reported about 200k of usage before emerging.

> I don't remember how much space it needs, but I guess that 3G (or maybe
> even 2G) would be more than enough.
>
> I'll be building OpenOffice myself overnight, I'll try to keep track of
> hard disk and RAM usage during that time.

Last night, I built (thanks, Neil!) and monitored hard drive space. I think
I noticed a peak at around 4.2 or 4.5 GB. ...But that may have increased
after I went to sleep :-D

--
Gabriel M. Beddingfield