Mailing List Archive

emerge postfix
this is what i get:

root@gentoobox nick # emerge -pv postfix

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[blocks B ] mail-mta/ssmtp ("virtual/mta" from pkg
mail-mta/postfix-2.1.3)
[ebuild N ] dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.18-r2 -debug +gdbm -java
-kerberos +ldap +mysql +pam +pam-mysql -postgres +ssl -static 1,486 kB
[ebuild N ] net-nds/openldap-2.1.30-r2 +berkdb +crypt -debug +gdbm
-ipv6 -odbc +perl +readline -samba +sasl -slp +ssl +tcpd 1,996 kB
[ebuild N ] mail-mta/postfix-2.1.3 -ipv6 +ldap -mailwrapper -mbox
+mysql +pam -postgres +sasl +ssl -vda 2,493 kB

Total size of downloads: 5,977 kB

root@gentoobox nick # emerge postfix
Calculating dependencies ...done!

!!! Error: the virtual/mta package conflicts with another package.
!!! both can't be installed on the same system together.
!!! Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

root@gentoobox nick #

whats up with the "virtual/mta"? the real one is at the bottom, how do i
get around this?

nick

Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
Jeff Smelser wrote:

>On Tuesday 12 October 2004 04:26 pm, Nick Smith wrote:
>

>>whats up with the "virtual/mta"? the real one is at the bottom, how do i
>>get around this?
>>

>emerge -C mail-mta/ssmtp
>emerge postfix
>
>That ssmtp is installed by default if an applications needs mail.. But you
>cant have both..
>
>Jeff

thanks that worked, i wonder what package needed ssmtp? i know i never
emerged it before.

Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]

Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
Jeff Smelser wrote:

>On Tuesday 12 October 2004 05:01 pm, Nick Smith wrote:
>

>>is postfix one of those programs i need to rc-update add blah default?
>>

>If you want it to run a boot up.
>
>Jeff

thats what im asking, should it run at boot on a mail server? of does
another program call it when needed? or is it the program that calls the
other ones when needed?

nick

Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
Jeff Smelser wrote:

>On Tuesday 12 October 2004 05:14 pm, Nick Smith wrote:
>

>>thats what im asking, should it run at boot on a mail server? of does
>>another program call it when needed? or is it the program that calls the
>>other ones when needed?
>>

>I thought you ran this stuff before? Linux is linux as far as all this is
>concern.. distro´s are mainly just fancy installs and maintenances things..
>(generalizing of course).. They all work the same..
>
>short answer, yes
>
>Jeff

well my current mail server has been running for almost a year so i
havent set up a mailserver in almost a year, sorry for losing touch,
but thanks for refreshing me. kinda one of those if it aint broke dont
fix it.

nick

Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 13 October 2004 07:26, Nick Smith wrote:
> this is what i get:
>
> root@gentoobox nick # emerge -pv postfix
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [blocks B ] mail-mta/ssmtp ("virtual/mta" from pkg
> mail-mta/postfix-2.1.3)
> [ebuild N ] dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.18-r2 -debug +gdbm -java
> -kerberos +ldap +mysql +pam +pam-mysql -postgres +ssl -static 1,486 kB
> [ebuild N ] net-nds/openldap-2.1.30-r2 +berkdb +crypt -debug +gdbm
> -ipv6 -odbc +perl +readline -samba +sasl -slp +ssl +tcpd 1,996 kB
> [ebuild N ] mail-mta/postfix-2.1.3 -ipv6 +ldap -mailwrapper -mbox
> +mysql +pam -postgres +sasl +ssl -vda 2,493 kB
>
> Total size of downloads: 5,977 kB
>
> root@gentoobox nick # emerge postfix
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
>
> !!! Error: the virtual/mta package conflicts with another package.
> !!! both can't be installed on the same system together.
> !!! Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.
>
> root@gentoobox nick #
>
> whats up with the "virtual/mta"? the real one is at the bottom, how do i
> get around this?
>
> nick

emerge unmerge ssmtp
emerge postfix

?

http://moto-coda.org/public.gpg.key

Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 12 October 2004 04:26 pm, Nick Smith wrote:
> whats up with the "virtual/mta"? the real one is at the bottom, how do i
> get around this?

emerge -C mail-mta/ssmtp
emerge postfix

That ssmtp is installed by default if an applications needs mail.. But you
cant have both..

Jeff
Jabber: tradergt@(smelser.org|jabber.org)
Quote: 0x0063 bottles of beer on the wall...
Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
probably cron

Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 12 October 2004 05:01 pm, Nick Smith wrote:

> is postfix one of those programs i need to rc-update add blah default?

If you want it to run a boot up.

Jeff
Jabber: tradergt@(smelser.org|jabber.org)
Quote: Hark! What rock through yonder window breaks?
Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
Yes, if you want to start it automaticaly on the default runlevel.

Augusto Cezar A da C Silva <augusto.cezar@gmail.com>

Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 12 October 2004 05:14 pm, Nick Smith wrote:

> thats what im asking, should it run at boot on a mail server? of does
> another program call it when needed? or is it the program that calls the
> other ones when needed?

I thought you ran this stuff before? Linux is linux as far as all this is
concern.. distro´s are mainly just fancy installs and maintenances things..
(generalizing of course).. They all work the same..

short answer, yes

Jeff

Jabber: tradergt@(smelser.org|jabber.org)
Quote: And what do I look like--the living?
Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 13 October 2004 08:14, Nick Smith wrote:
> Jeff Smelser wrote:
> >On Tuesday 12 October 2004 05:01 pm, Nick Smith wrote:
> >>is postfix one of those programs i need to rc-update add blah default?
> >
> >If you want it to run a boot up.
> >
> >Jeff
>
> thats what im asking, should it run at boot on a mail server? of does
> another program call it when needed? or is it the program that calls the
> other ones when needed?
>
> nick

Postfix will work happily without it running as a daemon, _however_ it will
not be able to retry delayed mail or process it's queue. Additionally, the
machine will not be able to receive mail directly.

In general you would want to run it at startup.

http://moto-coda.org/public.gpg.key

Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
Nick Smith wrote:

> root@gentoobox nick # emerge postfix
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
>
> !!! Error: the virtual/mta package conflicts with another package.
> !!! both can't be installed on the same system together.
> !!! Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.
>
> root@gentoobox nick #
>
> whats up with the "virtual/mta"? the real one is at the bottom, how do
> i get around this?
>
> nick

emerge unmerge virtual/mta && emerge postfix

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Spammers please contact me at trap@veldy.net.
Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
Nick Smith wrote:

> thanks that worked, i wonder what package needed ssmtp? i know i never
> emerged it before.

vixie-cron pulls in smtpd.

Re: emerge postfix [ In reply to ]
Nick Smith wrote:

> thats what im asking, should it run at boot on a mail server? of does
> another program call it when needed? or is it the program that calls
> the other ones when needed?
>
> nick

You will need to start postfix at boot (rc-update add postfix default).
You will have to configure postfix. A great place to start is
http://www.postfix.org/