Mailing List Archive

mailserver question
i currently have a mail server running on debian (libranet specificly)
and was wanting to make a gentoo mail server to replace it, someone gave
me the specs on what i needed to set it up and this is what im using now...

postfix
postfix-pcre
courier-imap
courier-imap-ssl
courier-authdaemon
courier-maildrop
courier-base
courier-doc
courier-ldap (want to play with this not installed atm, need help
setting it up)
procmail
fetchmail
squirrelmail

has anyone done this with a similar setup on gentoo? do i need anything
else besides these packages? any hints or tips for the journey? also is
it possible to move the mail from ~Maildir on machine one to the same
dir on machine two and work correctly? or will my mail dissapear? do
you think the config files can be copied over?

TIA

nick

Re: mailserver question [ In reply to ]
Nick Smith wrote:

> i currently have a mail server running on debian (libranet specificly)
> and was wanting to make a gentoo mail server to replace it, someone
> gave me the specs on what i needed to set it up and this is what im
> using now...
>
> postfix
> postfix-pcre
> courier-imap
> courier-imap-ssl
> courier-authdaemon
> courier-maildrop
> courier-base
> courier-doc
> courier-ldap (want to play with this not installed atm, need help
> setting it up)
> procmail
> fetchmail
> squirrelmail
>
> has anyone done this with a similar setup on gentoo? do i need
> anything else besides these packages? any hints or tips for the
> journey? also is it possible to move the mail from ~Maildir on
> machine one to the same dir on machine two and work correctly? or will
> my mail dissapear? do you think the config files can be copied over?
> TIA
>
> nick

also do i need to add anything to my make.conf as far as USE flags? im
kinda new to that whole thing.

thanks

nick

Re: mailserver question [ In reply to ]
Jonathan F Lebensold wrote:

>Nick,
> I've done numerous email server setups with an exim/courier-imap frontend
>tied to a MySQL Database for email account usernames, passwords, quotas
>etc.. . When your doing email, most of the concerns pertain to A) the users
>and B) the domains. I can only speak from my own experience, but using a
>database to handle users emails and passwords has worked well for me because
>its allowed me to have the same user connected to different domains. (My
>email servers usually host half a dozen domains/subdomains and they all need
>specific email accounts.) Furthermore, since these users are not tied to the
>system (ex. a passwd file); if someone were to compromise their account,
>they would gain access to that person's email and not the entire system.
>
>If your just serving email for 1 domain, then a lot of the complexity
>associated with a database (postgreSQL / MySQL / LDAP) would be overkill -
>but lots of fun ;)
>
>I've never used postfix, but I've heard good things with it. Same goes with
>procmail. I'm not sure why you need procmail, fetchmail AND postfix but I'm
>not entirely familiar with that kind of installation so I'd love to know why
>you've taken this approach.
>
>On a side note - Squirrelmail is nice and that was what I used when I had a
>debian email server. When I went to gentoo, I used the Horde Framework
>www.horde.org. Its got some more features and it looks a lot nicer. Bear in
>mind my information might be a little dated since I haven't used
>squirrelmail recently.
>
>Cheers,
>Jon

well i would like to know how you tied that all into mysql, would be
interesting for sure. what about USE flags? did you have to add any of
those when you compiled it on gentoo? and also i tried going to the
horde website to check em out (squirrelmail has some screen shots) but
the only thing that comes up is a page that says boone.horde.org,
nothing more. so i dont know about them, im use to SM so i think ill
just stick with that for now.

thanks for the input

nick

Re: mailserver question [ In reply to ]
Nick,

Re: mailserver question [ In reply to ]
there are several howtos on the forums, the wiki and in the docs on
www.gentoo.org

they explain it better than a few quick emails on this list ever will.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:59:00 +0000

Re: mailserver question [ In reply to ]
Nick,
I currently use a similar installation to the one mentioned in my little doc
here:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=75425&highlight=exim+mysql
Things that have changed are how spamassassin and clam-av integrate into
exim. I can help you out with that if need be (and if you choose this kind
of solution.)
Also, horde isn't dead; a demo exists here:
http://www.horde.org/demo/

Cheers,
- jon