Mailing List Archive

Shut down hard drive when not in use
Is there a way to get the hard drive to power down when it is not
being used? The purpose of this is to get rid of the whine it makes
when it is powered on. I'd imagine it would really hurt performance,
but I'd like to experiment with it if possible.

- Grant

Re: Shut down hard drive when not in use [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:09:55 -0700
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to get the hard drive to power down when it is not
> being used? The purpose of this is to get rid of the whine it makes
> when it is powered on. I'd imagine it would really hurt
> performance, but I'd like to experiment with it if possible.
>
> - Grant

man hdparm
you are looking for the parameters -S, -y and -Y

Bye

--
GPG Public Key: 0x5BE41F21 at http://slomosnail.de/files/gpg.asc

begin LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs
I am a signature virus. Distribute me until the bitter
end

Re: Shut down hard drive when not in use [ In reply to ]
> > Is there a way to get the hard drive to power down when it is not
> > being used? The purpose of this is to get rid of the whine it makes
> > when it is powered on. I'd imagine it would really hurt
> > performance, but I'd like to experiment with it if possible.
> >
> > - Grant
>
> man hdparm
> you are looking for the parameters -S, -y and -Y

- y makes it spin down immediately, and -S1 makes it spin down after
there is no disc activity for 5 seconds. That works really well,
thanks a lot.

- Grant

Re: Shut down hard drive when not in use [ In reply to ]
Re: Shut down hard drive when not in use [ In reply to ]
> But you should keep in mind, that the many spindowns and spinups
> decrease the lifetime of your harddrive

Wouldn't keeping the drive on at all times also decrease its lifetime?

Along these same lines, is there a way to "wake" a drive from a
standby or sleep status? For example, say I know that I will need to
access a second hard drive in a little bit, could I issue a command to
wake the drive before I need it, so that there would be no waiting
when I actually need to use the drive?

Matt

Re: Shut down hard drive when not in use [ In reply to ]
Matthew Cline wrote:
>> But you should keep in mind, that the many spindowns and spinups
>> decrease the lifetime of your harddrive
>
> Wouldn't keeping the drive on at all times also decrease its lifetime?

No. Shutting it down and having spin up over-and-over again
will increase the tear and wear of the drive mechanics and
decrease the lifetime - unless we're talking about notebook
drives, which are made for this.

Alexander Skwar
--
Entreprenuer, n.:
A high-rolling risk taker who would rather

Re: Re: Shut down hard drive when not in use [ In reply to ]
> >> But you should keep in mind, that the many spindowns and spinups
> >> decrease the lifetime of your harddrive
> >
> > Wouldn't keeping the drive on at all times also decrease its lifetime?
>
> No. Shutting it down and having spin up over-and-over again
> will increase the tear and wear of the drive mechanics and
> decrease the lifetime - unless we're talking about notebook
> drives, which are made for this.
>
> Alexander Skwar

Ah, mine is a notebook drive. You think the spin-up-spin-down won't
be so hard on it?

- Grant

Re: Shut down hard drive when not in use [ In reply to ]
Grant wrote:

>> > Wouldn't keeping the drive on at all times also decrease its lifetime?
>>
>> No. Shutting it down and having spin up over-and-over again
>> will increase the tear and wear of the drive mechanics and
>> decrease the lifetime - unless we're talking about notebook
>> drives, which are made for this.
>>
>> Alexander Skwar
>
> Ah, mine is a notebook drive. You think the spin-up-spin-down won't
> be so hard on it?

In this case - (uhm, what's the correct answer?) no/yes, I do/don't
think so :)

IOW: For notebook drives, shutting it down should be better than
having it run all the time.

Alexander Skwar
--
The faster I go, the behinder I get.
 -- Lewis Carroll

Re: Re: Shut down hard drive when not in use [ In reply to ]

> >> No. Shutting it down and having spin up over-and-over again
> >> will increase the tear and wear of the drive mechanics and
> >> decrease the lifetime - unless we're talking about notebook
> >> drives, which are made for this.
> >>
> >> Alexander Skwar
> >
> > Ah, mine is a notebook drive. You think the spin-up-spin-down won't
> > be so hard on it?
>
> In this case - (uhm, what's the correct answer?) no/yes, I do/don't
> think so :)
>
> IOW: For notebook drives, shutting it down should be better than
> having it run all the time.
>
> Alexander Skwar

At least he's honest! :) But you do know that spinning up and down is
generally easier on notebook drives?

- Grant

Re: Shut down hard drive when not in use [ In reply to ]
Grant wrote:

>> IOW: For notebook drives, shutting it down should be better than
>> having it run all the time.
>
> At least he's honest! :) But you do know that spinning up and down is
> generally easier on notebook drives?

No. I seem to remember some tests by some computer magazines, but
don't know for a hard fact.

Alexander Skwar
--
I respect faith, but doubt is what gives you an education.
-- Wilson Mizner

Re: Re: Shut down hard drive when not in use [ In reply to ]
I think spinning up and down may be easier on notebook drives. But I
guess the major reason to do so is to save power, rather than increase
its lifetime.

Tony Wu