Mailing List Archive

wrong locale configuration
hi,

I've a problem with my locale configuration. I set the /etc/profile with
the a line defining LANG but when using programs in gnome it uses a
diferent locale :-S

$ set | grep LANG
LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1

$ locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

Re: wrong locale configuration [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:31:00 +0100, Helder Rossa <rossa@netcabo.pt> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I've a problem with my locale configuration. I set the /etc/profile with
> the a line defining LANG but when using programs in gnome it uses a
> diferent locale :-S
>
> $ set | grep LANG
> LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1
>
> $ locale
> LANG=
> LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
> LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
> LC_TIME="POSIX"
> LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
> LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
> LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
> LC_PAPER="POSIX"
> LC_NAME="POSIX"
> LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
> LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
> LC_ALL=

Have you checked the gnome configuration tool (don't remember what it
is). It's possible that Gnome has its own locale settings that it
uses, separate from what you set in /etc/provile.

-Andy

Re: wrong locale configuration [ In reply to ]
Helder Rossa wrote:
> hi,
>
> I've a problem with my locale configuration. I set the /etc/profile with
> the a line defining LANG but when using programs in gnome it uses a
> diferent locale :-S
>

> $ set | grep LANG
> LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1

Did you export the variable? Hm, is there such a locale at all?
I would have thought, that en_US == POSIX.

Alexander Skwar
--
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!