Is there a way to solve it, change that fugly default theme? Any way
that doesn't include downloading a whole desktop and spending hours
compiling it is welcome.

Re: KDE applications gui [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 02:14:11 -0400, Bruno Laturner wrote:

> My main problem with them is the gui, I find the fonts way too ugly,
> the buttons way too roundy, the toolbars even worse. Everything is too
> much painful to look at.

You should be able to run kcontrol, the KDE Control Centre, from a
terminal in GNOME. kcontrol is part of kdebase.

--
Neil Bothwick

Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: KDE applications gui [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 02:14:11 -0400, Bruno Laturner wrote:
>

>>My main problem with them is the gui, I find the fonts way too ugly,
>>the buttons way too roundy, the toolbars even worse. Everything is too
>>much painful to look at.
>

> You should be able to run kcontrol, the KDE Control Centre, from a
> terminal in GNOME. kcontrol is part of kdebase.

If you don't have kdebase either (it's not necessarily necessary, as
kdelibs is, and on my system, while kcontrol does open, it won't open
any modules, so it's not useful atm-- maybe I need to reemerge it), you
can also go the manual route and edit the config files located in your
${HOME}$ folder for either the individual program or KDE generally.

The menu fonts in K3b were waaay too big, so I edited
~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals to change the font and reduce its size.
For programs that don't read this file to set their appearance, editing
~/.qt/qtrc may help.

This will only help you with fonts, and maybe colors (I've never
attempted to edit those)-- there is no help for "buttons way too roundy,
toolbars even worse" (I know how you feel, I find KDE hideous as well,
that's why I don't use it). That's just the way KDE and apps designed to
integrate into the KDE environment are designed to look, afaict, so it's
something that we have to live with if we are going to use such apps.

Hope this helps,
Holly

Re: KDE applications gui [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:59:56 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:

> This will only help you with fonts, and maybe colors (I've never
> attempted to edit those)-- there is no help for "buttons way too
> roundy, toolbars even worse"

Change the icon set. I don't like the default button either, but find
the Slick set quite reasonable.

--
Neil Bothwick

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary
notation and those who don't.
Re: KDE applications gui [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote, On 12.10.2004 11:59:

> The menu fonts in K3b were waaay too big, so I edited
> ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals to change the font and reduce its size.
> For programs that don't read this file to set their appearance, editing
> ~/.qt/qtrc may help.

> Hope this helps,
> Holly

try:

qtconfig

bye Thilo

Re: Re: KDE applications gui [ In reply to ]
Thilo Six wrote:
> Holly Bostick wrote, On 12.10.2004 11:59:
>

>> The menu fonts in K3b were waaay too big, so I edited
>> ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals to change the font and reduce its size.
>> For programs that don't read this file to set their appearance,
>> editing ~/.qt/qtrc may help.
>

>> Hope this helps,
>> Holly
>

> try:
>
> qtconfig
>
> bye Thilo

Thanks; I figured there was a program similar to the one I use for GTK
theme element changing under Openbox for QT, but never searched out what
it was.

I'm sure my life will be much easier now ;-), but at least I know where
the config files are. Best of both worlds.

Holly

Re: Re: KDE applications gui [ In reply to ]
041012 Thilo Six wrote:
> try: qtconfig

which pkg is that in ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Re: Re: KDE applications gui [ In reply to ]
041012 Peter Ruskin wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 October 2004 18:30, purslow@sympatico.ca wrote:
>> 041012 Thilo Six wrote:
>>> try: qtconfig
>> which pkg is that in ?
> $ qpkg -f `which qtconfig`
> x11-libs/qt *

well, i already did that & just tried your command again with this result:

root: purslow> qpkg -f `which qtconfig`
which: no qtconfig in (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin::/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/kde/3.2/bin:/home/purslow/bin)
root: purslow> emerge -p qt
Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild R ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.3

any further suggestion (raises eyebrows in puzzlement) ?

Re: Re: KDE applications gui [ In reply to ]
Great, kcontrol did it.

BTW, qtconfig doesn't solve the problem.

Re: Re: KDE applications gui [ In reply to ]
purslow@sympatico.ca wrote:
> 041012 Peter Ruskin wrote:

>>>which pkg is that in ?
>>
>>$ qpkg -f `which qtconfig`
>>x11-libs/qt *
>

> well, i already did that & just tried your command again with this result:
>
> root: purslow> qpkg -f `which qtconfig`
> which: no qtconfig in (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin::/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/kde/3.2/bin:/home/purslow/bin)
> root: purslow> emerge -p qt
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [ebuild R ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.3
>
> any further suggestion (raises eyebrows in puzzlement) ?

Well mine is here:

[root@Gentoo] 06:53 PM #which qtconfig
/usr/qt/3/bin/qtconfig

What happens if you try a full path command?

Holly

Re: Re: KDE applications gui [ In reply to ]
041012 Holly Bostick wrote:
> purslow@sympatico.ca wrote:
>> root: purslow> qpkg -f `which qtconfig`
>> which: no qtconfig in
>> (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin::/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/kde/3.2/bin:/home/purslow/bin)
>> root: purslow> emerge -p qt
>> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>> Calculating dependencies ...done!
>> [ebuild R ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.3
>> any further suggestion (raises eyebrows in puzzlement) ?
> Well mine is here:
> [root@Gentoo] 06:53 PM #which qtconfig
> /usr/qt/3/bin/qtconfig
> What happens if you try a full path command?

thanks a lot! i had no idea there were binaries lurking away there!
i've put a symlink to it in /usr/bin .

Re: Re: KDE applications gui [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 12 October 2004 23:41, purslow@sympatico.ca wrote:

> > Well mine is here:
> > [root@Gentoo] 06:53 PM #which qtconfig
> > /usr/qt/3/bin/qtconfig
> > What happens if you try a full path command?
>
> thanks a lot! i had no idea there were binaries lurking away there!
> i've put a symlink to it in /usr/bin .

Or you could just env-update, and use the PATH gentoo provides :)

A simple 'export PATH=${PATH}:~/bin/' will append your own local bin
directory.

--
Mike Williams
Re: Re: KDE applications gui [ In reply to ]
041012 Mike Williams wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 October 2004 23:41, purslow@sympatico.ca wrote:
>>> [root@Gentoo] 06:53 PM #which qtconfig
>>> /usr/qt/3/bin/qtconfig
>> thanks a lot! i had no idea there were binaries lurking away there!
>> i've put a symlink to it in /usr/bin .
> Or you could just env-update, and use the PATH gentoo provides :)

man env-update [extract]:

env-update is run by emerge(1) automatically after each package merge.

so what would it achieve to run it again ?