resource/irq thing but how to to actually cure it?

Has anyone got this combination working?

BillK

dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]
HI, I have been battling with a dlink DWL-650+ wireless card and a dell
inspiron 8200 laptop with latest gentoo. The problem is a hard lockup
when inserting the card, or it will insert ok with pcmcia off, but locks
when pcmcia is started. Windows has the same problem, but is fixed by
the dlink software being installed first. It is apparently a known
problem on the windows side, but other than a few items Ive found
mentioning it with linux, there's no fix to be found. I suspect its a

Re: dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

> Has anyone got this combination working?

I have never got this card to work with Gentoo or NetBSD...

--
win win excl.

Expresses pleasure at a win.

Re: dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 03:40, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> HI, I have been battling with a dlink DWL-650+ wireless card and a dell
> inspiron 8200 laptop with latest gentoo. The problem is a hard lockup
> when inserting the card, or it will insert ok with pcmcia off, but locks
> when pcmcia is started. Windows has the same problem, but is fixed by
> the dlink software being installed first. It is apparently a known
> problem on the windows side, but other than a few items Ive found
> mentioning it with linux, there's no fix to be found. I suspect its a
> resource/irq thing but how to to actually cure it?
>
> Has anyone got this combination working?

Your're using kernel 2.6.x am I right? I got the same issue with
different Cardbus Cards too! There seems to be a resource conflict
(mostly Memory) between the card and the rest of the system. You may
change the settings in your /etc/pcmcia/config.opts to solve the lockup!

But I don't know if the card is working under linux at all....

Good luck!

Re: dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]
Richard Verwayen wrote:
> But I don't know if the card is working under linux at all....

I have a D-Link DWL-650+ (with an acx100 chipset) and it works fine on
my dell inspiron 8600 running a gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r3 kernel.

Driver home page:
http://acx100.sourceforge.net/

Driver tarballs:
http://rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de/~andi/acx100/

If your card is also an acx100, then AFAIK this is the only driver that
will, hopefully, work.

--
Yoann Pannier

Re: dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]

Re: Re: dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]
The problem is that the drivers never get to load as the act of
inserting the card causes the lockup - its at the pcmcia level that the
problem is happening. You can insert the card with pcmcia stopped, but
as soon as you run /etc/init.d/pcmcia thats the last thing that
happens. I do have those drivers, but haven't had the chance to
modprobe it yet!

It would be great if you could post (or send direct to me if too big)
the following
/etc/conf.d/pcmcia
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts
the output of "cardmgr info" (I think, as I didnt bring the laptop home
with me tonight!)
lsmod (are you loading yeta_socket and ds, or do you have them built
in?)
and anything else that may have a bearing such as the pcmcia chip type!

I am trying to get a picture of what resources your card is using so I
can target them, and exclude everything else on my machine.

I not sure how close the 8600 is to the earlier models but the
information may help me and others

BillK

Re: Re: dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Yoann Pannier wrote:

> If your card is also an acx100, then AFAIK this is the only driver that
> will, hopefully, work.

D-Link are (in)famous for changing chipsets *without* changing model
numbers, so there's no guarantee that it is an acx100 chipset...

Re: Re: dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:40:24 +0200, Yoann Pannier <gentoo-user@umsar.org> wrote:
> Richard Verwayen wrote:
> > But I don't know if the card is working under linux at all....
>
> I have a D-Link DWL-650+ (with an acx100 chipset) and it works fine on
> my dell inspiron 8600 running a gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r3 kernel.
>
> Driver home page:
> http://acx100.sourceforge.net/
>
> Driver tarballs:
> http://rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de/~andi/acx100/
>
> If your card is also an acx100, then AFAIK this is the only driver that
> will, hopefully, work.
>
> --
> Yoann Pannier

I tried using those drivers for my wireless card, but I noticed that
when I did ./Configure to compile/install it it said to put the
firmware in some directory (/usr/somethingorother). Where to I find
the firmware?

-Andy

Re: dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]
Andy Herrman wrote:
> Where to I find
> the firmware?

You will find detailed instruction there:
http://www.houseofcraig.net/acx100_howto.php

--
Yoann Pannier

Re: dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]
William Kenworthy wrote:
> The problem is that the drivers never get to load as the act of
> inserting the card causes the lockup - its at the pcmcia level that the
> problem is happening. You can insert the card with pcmcia stopped, but
> as soon as you run /etc/init.d/pcmcia thats the last thing that
> happens. I do have those drivers, but haven't had the chance to
> modprobe it yet!

oops, sorry.

well my card is always in its slot, so i never cared about automating
actions on card insert/eject.

In fact i don't even use the pcmcia daemon at all. I just turned the
provided "start" script into an /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 rc-script and
added it to the default runlevel so that i have my network connection up
at boot time.

*But* i just tested ejecting and re-inserting the card... well,
everything works (that really surprised me!). the wlan0 interface was
brought down on ejection, and brought up on insertion. I don't remember
what i did for that to happen (i'm not even sure i did something, in fact).

I done this test with pcmcia started too: no difference. There was no
lockup.

> /etc/conf.d/pcmcia

CARDMGR_OPTS="-f"
SCHEME="home"
PCIC="i82365"
PCIC_OPTS=""
PCIC_ALT="yenta_socket"
PCIC_ALT_OPTS=""
CORE_OPTS=""

note: i think i should have PCIC set to yenta_socket here as i only
compiled that into my kernel.

> /etc/pcmcia/config.opts

#include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x800-0x8ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
include memory 0xc0000-0xfffff
include memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff, memory 0x60000000-0x60ffffff
include port 0xa00-0xaff
exclude irq 4
exclude irq 7

note the commented line here, i think that it may be your main problem.
(i *may* have commented it out, and replaced it with the following line,
to exclude port 0x800-0x8ff, but i don't remember well. This comment may
also be in the original file)

> the output of "cardmgr info" (I think, as I didnt bring the laptop home
> with me tonight!)

Well, not sure if that's usefull but:

#cardctl config
Socket 0:
Vcc 3.3V Vpp1 3.3V Vpp2 3.3V
interface type is "cardbus"
irq 11 [exclusive] [level]
function 0:

#cardctl info
PRODID_1="Wireless Network CardBus PC Card"
PRODID_2="Global"
PRODID_3=""
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0097,8402
FUNCID=255

> lsmod (are you loading yeta_socket and ds, or do you have them built
> in?)

yenta_sockets are compiled in.
What is ds ?

> and anything else that may have a bearing such as the pcmcia chip type!

#lspci (part)
0000:02:01.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4510 PC card Cardbus
Controller (rev 02)
0000:03:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 100 22Mbps
Wireless Interface

> I am trying to get a picture of what resources your card is using so I
> can target them, and exclude everything else on my machine.
>
> I not sure how close the 8600 is to the earlier models but the
> information may help me and others

I strongly suspect that you only have to exclude the previously
mentioned port range in the pcmcia config. Adn i think it is a common
requirement to every inspiron 8xxx.

Good luck.

--
Yoann Pannier

Re: Re: dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]
Do you know what irq the G650 is using? pcmcia uses 11, but apparently
the card uses another?

Wish I hadn't left the machine at work - itchy to have another go at
it! Found a couple of use flags (nocardbus and pcmcia) that I cant
remember the status of, and apparently pnp isa needs turning on in the
kernel - its not at the moment

Other comments inline

Thanks muchly,
BillK

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 01:21, Yoann Pannier wrote:
> William Kenworthy wrote:

> > /etc/conf.d/pcmcia
>
> CARDMGR_OPTS="-f"
> SCHEME="home"
> PCIC="i82365"
> PCIC_OPTS=""
> PCIC_ALT="yenta_socket"
> PCIC_ALT_OPTS=""
> CORE_OPTS=""
>
> note: i think i should have PCIC set to yenta_socket here as i only
> compiled that into my kernel.

It will use the alt one with no problems - the i82365 module just fails
to load if built and you use a 2.6 kernel, or loads the pcmcia-cs one if
using 2.4. This used to work with the 2.4 kernel on this machine, out
of the box.

> > /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
>
> #include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x800-0x8ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
> include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
> include memory 0xc0000-0xfffff
> include memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff, memory 0x60000000-0x60ffffff
> include port 0xa00-0xaff
> exclude irq 4
> exclude irq 7
>
> note the commented line here, i think that it may be your main problem.
> (i *may* have commented it out, and replaced it with the following line,
> to exclude port 0x800-0x8ff, but i don't remember well. This comment may
> also be in the original file)

I have this - will check it again, maybe I miss-set it

> > the output of "cardmgr info" (I think, as I didnt bring the laptop home
> > with me tonight!)
>
> Well, not sure if that's usefull but:
>
> #cardctl config
> Socket 0:
> Vcc 3.3V Vpp1 3.3V Vpp2 3.3V
> interface type is "cardbus"
> irq 11 [exclusive] [level]
> function 0:

I dont think I have the interface type line - I'll have to check the use
flags

> #cardctl info
> PRODID_1="Wireless Network CardBus PC Card"
> PRODID_2="Global"
> PRODID_3=""
> PRODID_4=""
> MANFID=0097,8402
> FUNCID=255
>

> > lsmod (are you loading yeta_socket and ds, or do you have them built
> > in?)
>
> yenta_sockets are compiled in.
> What is ds ?
ds is another module that gets compiled along with yenta_socket. It
will be built in as you have selected that

> > and anything else that may have a bearing such as the pcmcia chip type!
>
> #lspci (part)
> 0000:02:01.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4510 PC card Cardbus
> Controller (rev 02)
> 0000:03:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 100 22Mbps
> Wireless Interface

I think my 8200 has this chip PCI4451

Re: dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]
William Kenworthy wrote:
> Do you know what irq the G650 is using? pcmcia uses 11, but apparently
> the card uses another?

G650 ? are'nt we talking about DWL-650+ (no G here!) ?

Anyway, according to lspci -v, irq 11 is shared by different things,
including that NIC (see text attachment).

ps: be aware that if your card is in the list below, it will not work
with the acx driver because they are not acx based (more details in the
driver's README file).

DWL-G650, version A1 (PRISM GT)
DWL-G650, version B1 (Atheros AR5211)
DWL-G650, version B2 (Atheros AR5001)

--
Yoann Pannier
Re: Re: dlink DWL-650+ wireless card [ In reply to ]
Its a DWL-G650+EUB1 bought in oz - uses the acx111 chipset

Its definitely a memory problem as I can get kernel crashes with memory
errors - I wonder if its actually reading the setup files and doing the
exclusions I am giving it?

BillK