which of course attempts to connect to the gentoo site to download the
latest source.

Can anyone tell me the command to emerge a kernel from the distribution CD I
purchased. I think the package I need is
/mnt/cdrom/packages/All/gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r6.tbz2.

I looked at man pages but just can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks - Alan

---

Re: emerge kernel source from LiveCD only [ In reply to ]
quoth the Alan Watson:
> Hi - I've been trying to avoid wasting (your collective) time on what is
> probably simple. I'm trying to install a kernel from the LiveCD only as the
> computer I'm running does not have a functioning network card at present.
> Everything went fine up until the point I wanted to "emerge gentoo-sources"
> which of course attempts to connect to the gentoo site to download the
> latest source.
>
> Can anyone tell me the command to emerge a kernel from the distribution CD
> I purchased. I think the package I need is
> /mnt/cdrom/packages/All/gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r6.tbz2.
>
> I looked at man pages but just can't seem to figure it out.
>
> Thanks - Alan

Maybe I'm missing something here...but can you not just copy the source
tarball from the livecd to /mnt/gentoo/usr/src , do your chroot, then unpack
and build it from there?

-d
--
Part of the problem since 1976
http://badcomputer.no-ip.com
RE: emerge kernel source from LiveCD only [ In reply to ]
quoth the Alan Watson:

Maybe I'm missing something here...but can you not just copy the source
tarball from the livecd to /mnt/gentoo/usr/src , do your chroot, then unpack

and build it from there?

I did:

tar -xvjf /mnt/cdrom/snapshots/portage-20040710.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles
cp /mnt/cdrom/distfiles/* /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles/
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
* Caching service dependencies...
source /etc/profile
ls /usr/share/zoneinfo
ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT /etc/localtime
emerge gentoo-sources (also tried -k and -K flags)

Everytime it tries to connect to the gentoo site. Thanks Alan

---

Re: emerge kernel source from LiveCD only [ In reply to ]
quoth the Alan Watson:

Ok, but in your first post you said you found the kernel source here:
/mnt/cdrom/packages/All/gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r6.tbz2

So copy *that* file to /usr/src in your chroot, unpack it, and build the
kernel. If you manually drag the sources over then there is no need to
'emerge' anything.

-d
Re: emerge kernel source from LiveCD only [ In reply to ]
Alan Watson wrote:

>quoth the Alan Watson:
>
>Maybe I'm missing something here...but can you not just copy the source
>tarball from the livecd to /mnt/gentoo/usr/src , do your chroot, then unpack
>
>and build it from there?
>
>I did:
>
>tar -xvjf /mnt/cdrom/snapshots/portage-20040710.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr
>mkdir /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles
>cp /mnt/cdrom/distfiles/* /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles/
>mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
>chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
>env-update
> * Caching service dependencies...
>source /etc/profile
>ls /usr/share/zoneinfo
>ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/GMT /etc/localtime
>emerge gentoo-sources (also tried -k and -K flags)
>
>Everytime it tries to connect to the gentoo site. Thanks Alan

Maybe you didn't define the PKGDIR in /etc/make.conf?

# PKGDIR is the location of binary packages that you can have created
# with '--buildpkg' or '-b' while emerging a package. This can get
# upto several hundred megs, or even a few gigs.
#PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages

Best regards
Jose