Mailing List Archive

CUPS/autoconf problem
I'm doing a fresh install on my desktop machine, and got to the point
where I start emerging all the random apps I want. Along the way it
pulls in cups. But cups pulls samba, which complains about cups not
existing yet. I can get around that by removing the samba USE flag.
However, when I try to emerge cups I get this:

USE='-samba' emerge -v cups
Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) net-print/cups-1.1.21-r1 to /
>>> md5 src_uri ;-) cups-1.1.21-source.tar.bz2
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking cups-1.1.21-source.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/cups-1.1.21-r1/work
* Applying disable-strip.patch...

[ ok ]
* Applying str920.patch...

[ ok ]
FATAL ERROR: Autoconf version 2.50 or higher is required for this script

!!! ERROR: net-print/cups-1.1.21-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_unpack, Line 39, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

autoconf --version give me:
Autoconf version 2.13

However, emerge -pv autoconf shows:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild R ] sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r4 0 kB

Why would the emerged autoconf version differ from the version I get
when I run it? And how do I fix it?

-Andy

Re: CUPS/autoconf problem [ In reply to ]
Andy Herrman wrote:

> FATAL ERROR: Autoconf version 2.50 or higher is required for this script
[...]
> autoconf --version give me:
> Autoconf version 2.13
>
> However, emerge -pv autoconf shows:
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [ebuild R ] sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r4 0 kB

I ran into the same thing when I was trying to compile KDE.

Here's a workaround:
# WANT_AUTOCONF="2.5" USE="-samba" emerge -v cups

Here's the explaination:
$ ll /usr/bin/autoconf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Oct 9 22:31 /usr/bin/autoconf
-> ../lib/autoconf/ac-wrapper.pl

If you read the script ac-wrapper.pl, it briefly explains what's happening
with the versions. It doesn't explain *why* -- but it's a starting point.

--
Gabriel M. Beddingfield

Re: Re: CUPS/autoconf problem [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:59:00 -0500, Gabriel M. Beddingfield
<gabriel@teuton.org> wrote:
> Andy Herrman wrote:
>
> > FATAL ERROR: Autoconf version 2.50 or higher is required for this script
> [...]
> > autoconf --version give me:
> > Autoconf version 2.13
> >
> > However, emerge -pv autoconf shows:
> > These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
> >
> > Calculating dependencies ...done!
> > [ebuild R ] sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r4 0 kB
>
> I ran into the same thing when I was trying to compile KDE.
>
> Here's a workaround:
> # WANT_AUTOCONF="2.5" USE="-samba" emerge -v cups
>
> Here's the explaination:
> $ ll /usr/bin/autoconf
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Oct 9 22:31 /usr/bin/autoconf
> -> ../lib/autoconf/ac-wrapper.pl
>
> If you read the script ac-wrapper.pl, it briefly explains what's happening
> with the versions. It doesn't explain *why* -- but it's a starting point.
>
> --
> Gabriel M. Beddingfield

Yea, I found that. I even tried the workaround that you suggested,
but it didn't work.

When autoconf emerged it said to use WANT_AUTOCONF="2.5" instead of
the old syntax WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5=1. However, in the ac-wrapper.pl
file it said to use WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5=1. I tried that and it worked.

But why should I have to do this? Shouldn't the ebuild handle it on its own?

-Andy

Re: Re: CUPS/autoconf problem [ In reply to ]
Ran into the same problem. It is obviously a bug. A workaround that
worked for me:

cd /usr/bin
mv autoconf autoconf.org
ln -s autoconf-2.59 autoconf
emerge cups
rm autoconf
mv autoconv.org autoconf

Andy Herrman schrieb:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:59:00 -0500, Gabriel M. Beddingfield
> <gabriel@teuton.org> wrote:
>
>>Andy Herrman wrote:
>>

>>>FATAL ERROR: Autoconf version 2.50 or higher is required for this script
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>>autoconf --version give me:
>>>Autoconf version 2.13
>>>
>>>However, emerge -pv autoconf shows:
>>>These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>>>
>>>Calculating dependencies ...done!
>>>[ebuild R ] sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r4 0 kB
>>
>>I ran into the same thing when I was trying to compile KDE.
>>
>>Here's a workaround:
>># WANT_AUTOCONF="2.5" USE="-samba" emerge -v cups
>>
>>Here's the explaination:
>>$ ll /usr/bin/autoconf
>>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Oct 9 22:31 /usr/bin/autoconf
>>-> ../lib/autoconf/ac-wrapper.pl
>>
>>If you read the script ac-wrapper.pl, it briefly explains what's happening
>>with the versions. It doesn't explain *why* -- but it's a starting point.
>>
>>--
>>Gabriel M. Beddingfield
>>
>>--
>>

> Yea, I found that. I even tried the workaround that you suggested,
> but it didn't work.
>
> When autoconf emerged it said to use WANT_AUTOCONF="2.5" instead of
> the old syntax WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5=1. However, in the ac-wrapper.pl
> file it said to use WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5=1. I tried that and it worked.
>
> But why should I have to do this? Shouldn't the ebuild handle it on its own?
>
> -Andy

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Heinz Sporn

SPORN it-freelancing

Mobile: ++43 (0)699 / 127 827 07
Email: heinz.sporn@sporn-it.com
heinz.sporn@utanet.at
Snail: Steyrer Str. 20
A-4540 Bad Hall
Austria / Europe

Re: Re: CUPS/autoconf problem [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:09:01 +0200, Heinz Sporn
<heinz.sporn@sporn-it.com> wrote:
> Ran into the same problem. It is obviously a bug. A workaround that
> worked for me:
>
> cd /usr/bin
> mv autoconf autoconf.org
> ln -s autoconf-2.59 autoconf
> emerge cups
> rm autoconf
> mv autoconv.org autoconf
>
> Andy Herrman schrieb:
>

> > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:59:00 -0500, Gabriel M. Beddingfield
> > <gabriel@teuton.org> wrote:

> >>[...]
> >>
> >>I ran into the same thing when I was trying to compile KDE.
> >>
> >>Here's a workaround:
> >># WANT_AUTOCONF="2.5" USE="-samba" emerge -v cups
> >>
> >>Here's the explaination:
> >>$ ll /usr/bin/autoconf
> >>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Oct 9 22:31 /usr/bin/autoconf
> >>-> ../lib/autoconf/ac-wrapper.pl
> >>
> >>If you read the script ac-wrapper.pl, it briefly explains what's happening
> >>with the versions. It doesn't explain *why* -- but it's a starting point.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Gabriel M. Beddingfield
> >>
> >>--
> >>

> > Yea, I found that. I even tried the workaround that you suggested,
> > but it didn't work.
> >
> > When autoconf emerged it said to use WANT_AUTOCONF="2.5" instead of
> > the old syntax WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5=1. However, in the ac-wrapper.pl
> > file it said to use WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5=1. I tried that and it worked.
> >
> > But why should I have to do this? Shouldn't the ebuild handle it on its own?
> >
> > -Andy
> >
> > --

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>
> Heinz Sporn
>
> SPORN it-freelancing
>
> Mobile: ++43 (0)699 / 127 827 07
> Email: heinz.sporn@sporn-it.com
> heinz.sporn@utanet.at
> Snail: Steyrer Str. 20
> A-4540 Bad Hall
> Austria / Europe

Just got it again while emerging something else (don't remember what
at the moment). Looks like a configuration somewhere in portage got
messed up. Donig WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5=1 emerge ... seems to fix it
though.

-Andy

Re: Re: CUPS/autoconf problem [ In reply to ]
Andy Herrman wrote:

>> > [ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r4  0 kB

I have:
[ebuild R ] sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r5 0kB

I think portage was updated with this between Friday and Saturday.

> file it said to use WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5=1.  I tried that and it worked.

great!

> But why should I have to do this?  Shouldn't the ebuild handle it on its
> own?

*I* think it should handle it on its own... but it's over my head. Some
other comments in the autoconf script look like there's some politics and
religeon involved in this issue. (metaphorically speaking)

--
Gabriel M. Beddingfield