Mailing List Archive

Crontab: Permission Denied!
Hi. I am trying to update a normal user's crontab for the first time
using vixie-cron. I have the user, ben, listed in /etc/cron.allow and
made a crontab called cronjobs in his home directory. When I try to
execute 'crontab cronjobs' I get a "/usr/bin/crontab permission
denied" error. I even tried changing the permissions for
/usr/bin/crontab to 555, but then it just returns a setuid error.

Also, in an attempt to fix this problem, I unmerged vixie-cron and
emerged dcron, to no avail. After I unmerged dcron and remerged
vixie-cron, now each time env-update is run these two errors come up:

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
* Caching service dependencies...
* Service 'dcron' already provide 'cron'!;
* Not adding service 'vixie-cron'...

Apparently the system still thinks dcron is installed and providing
cron functionality. Does anyone know how to tell the system that
dcron is no longer installed?

Thanks a lot.

-ben lamothe

Re: Crontab: Permission Denied! [ In reply to ]
I ran into this too. (The dcron vs vixiecron part anyway).
When I unmerged vixie-cron it failed to remove /etc/init.d/vixie-cron.
Run this to remove cron from any runlevels

rc-update delete vixie-cron

Then remove /etc/init.d/vixie-cron

Now run

rc-update add dcron default

The permission denied from crontab is happening because your user is
not in the cron group.

d.c.m

Re: Crontab: Permission Denied! [ In reply to ]

Re: Crontab: Permission Denied! [ In reply to ]
Thanks a lot Aaron and Devon! You guys have been a lot of
help.

Re: Crontab: Permission Denied! [ In reply to ]
On 17:26 Sun 10 Oct , ben lamothe wrote:
> Hi. I am trying to update a normal user's crontab for the first time
> using vixie-cron. I have the user, ben, listed in /etc/cron.allow and
> made a crontab called cronjobs in his home directory. When I try to
> execute 'crontab cronjobs' I get a "/usr/bin/crontab permission
> denied" error. I even tried changing the permissions for
> /usr/bin/crontab to 555, but then it just returns a setuid error.
>
> Also, in an attempt to fix this problem, I unmerged vixie-cron and
> emerged dcron, to no avail. After I unmerged dcron and remerged
> vixie-cron, now each time env-update is run these two errors come up:

> * Caching service dependencies...
> * Service 'dcron' already provide 'cron'!;
> * Not adding service 'vixie-cron'...
>
> Apparently the system still thinks dcron is installed and providing
> cron functionality. Does anyone know how to tell the system that
> dcron is no longer installed?

Try deleting the dcron directory in /etc/init.d/, and make sure you've
done a "rc-update add vixie-cron default". That should take care of
the confusion between dcron and vixie-cron.

I'm running into the same problem on permissions. I haven't had the
problem in the past. I'm not sure if the devs have tightened security
in some (undocumented) way, or if there is just a problem with the
ebuild. I'm researching, I'll post anything I find.

Bill