Hi,

I've just seen and played with a version of amarok on a friends PC and
have started to like the playlist, popup track notification and other
features. Does anyone know if anything similar is available for Gnome?
I've never liked how QT applications look in Gnome, so something written
in GTK+2 would be great.

--
Tom Wesley <tom@tomaw.org>
Re: Gnome equivilent to amarok? [ In reply to ]
* On Saturday 09 October 2004 11:24, Tom Wesley wrote:

> I've just seen and played with a version of amarok on a friends PC
> and have started to like the playlist, popup track notification and
> other features. Does anyone know if anything similar is available
> for Gnome? I've never liked how QT applications look in Gnome, so
> something written in GTK+2 would be great.

It doesn't have exactly the same features, and it's not as good as
amarok, but still truly a great application: rythmbox[1]. Another nice
program is muine[2]. Maybe you want to evaluate them, and maybe you'll
like one of those. For me, amarok still is on top. ;-)

Regards,
Jens

[1] * media-sound/rhythmbox
Latest version available: 0.8.5
Latest version installed: 0.8.5
Size of downloaded files: 1,745 kB
Homepage: http://www.rhythmbox.org/
License: GPL-2

[2] * media-sound/muine
Latest version available: 0.6.3
Latest version installed: 0.6.3
Size of downloaded files: 609 kB
Homepage: http://muine.gooeylinux.org/
License: GPL-2

--
A consultant is a person who borrows your watch, tells you what time it
is, pockets the watch, and sends you a bill for it.

Re: Gnome equivilent to amarok? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:46:28 +0200, Jens Mayer <gentoo@jensmayer.de> wrote:
> * On Saturday 09 October 2004 11:24, Tom Wesley wrote:
>
> > I've just seen and played with a version of amarok on a friends PC
> > and have started to like the playlist, popup track notification and
> > other features. Does anyone know if anything similar is available
> > for Gnome? I've never liked how QT applications look in Gnome, so
> > something written in GTK+2 would be great.
>
> It doesn't have exactly the same features, and it's not as good as
> amarok, but still truly a great application: rythmbox[1]. Another nice
> program is muine[2]. Maybe you want to evaluate them, and maybe you'll
> like one of those. For me, amarok still is on top. ;-)

There is also Jamboree. Uses much less cpu cycles than Rhythmbox.
http://www.imendio.com/projects/jamboree/

Not in portage though.

Re: Gnome equivilent to amarok? [ In reply to ]
Alexander Futász wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:46:28 +0200, Jens Mayer <gentoo@jensmayer.de> wrote:
>
>>>I've just seen and played with a version of amarok
>>><snip>
>>>Does anyone know if anything similar is available for Gnome?
>>

> There is also Jamboree. Uses much less cpu cycles than Rhythmbox.
> http://www.imendio.com/projects/jamboree/
>
> Not in portage though.

But there is an ebuild for Jamboree at breakmygentoo:
http://breakmygentoo.net/archives/000115.html

Holly