Mailing List Archive

move web and email services

Re: move web and email services [ In reply to ]

> Whats the common sense way to move a functional web and email
> server services to another gentoo box? Re-emerge apache, cyrus-imap,
> etc and copy config over? Move whole webvserver HD over as second hard
> drive? another method?
>
> Existing machine works fine, just want to use it in another location.
> Want to keep the exisiting gentoo install intact also, so it really is
> just moving services.
> Steve

Moving HD sounds stupid, but what I meant was it may be easier to change
arch in make.conf and keep all configuation intact.

Re: move web and email services [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Steve Romanow wrote:

> Whats the common sense way to move a functional web and email
> server services to another gentoo box? Re-emerge apache, cyrus-imap,
> etc and copy config over? Move whole webvserver HD over as second hard
> drive? another method?
>
> Existing machine works fine, just want to use it in another location.
> Want to keep the exisiting gentoo install intact also, so it really is
> just moving services.

The "normal" way would be to build a box with identical services. Once you
have the box built and tested, you can use rsync to replicate web and
email data between boxes. (You may also need to replicate things like
MySQL between the boxes). This gives you time to test your web and email
services prior to moving anything.

Then you probably want to do is move things very gradually. For example,
if you host email for several domains, you should add each domain to the
new server, change the MX record in DNS for that domain then give it a day
or two to propagate (you should probably disable the rsync for that domain
too). This way you can move email over a day or two for each domain. (Im
assuming that whoever is using those domains is using a DNS name to
connect to the server so they will just start connecting to the new server
when the DNS has propagated.

For web, one way is to add a name to the DNS for a domain that points to
the new server. For example, if you host www.example.com, then add a name,
say, dev.example.com as a test site so you can test that site before
pointing www.example.com to the new site in your DNS.

I hope that gives you some ideas on how to proceed but feel free to ask
more questions.

--
samurai n.

A hacker who hires out for legal cracking jobs,