P.O. Box 2605 // Cleveland, TN 37320-2605
423-559-LINK (v) 423-559-5145 (f)
http://www.wingnet.net

Re: Persistent kernel configs? (i.e. across upgrades) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:01:16 -0400, Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use genkernel to create my kernels. What's the
> best way to make my kernel configs persistent
> across `emerge --update --deep --upgradeonly world`
> upgrades that build a new kernel?

emerge doesn't build a new kernel, only extracts the kernel source
into a new directory under /usr/src/

i don't know a direct answer to your question, since i don't use
genkernel, but what i do is copy the config of kernels i build into
the /boot directory along with the kernel image itself. when building
a new kernel, i just copy it into the new kernel directory and do a
'make oldconfig' which will alert me of any new config options, then
'make' as normal.

--
trey

Re: Persistent kernel configs? (i.e. across upgrades) [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 07 October 2004 09:07 pm, Trey Gruel wrote:
{snip}
> what i do is copy the config of kernels i build into
> the /boot directory along with the kernel image itself. when building
> a new kernel, i just copy it into the new kernel directory and do a
> 'make oldconfig' which will alert me of any new config options, then
> 'make' as normal.

I like having the kernel config in /proc/config.gz, it's a matter of
gunzipping it and running 'make oldconfig', but I have the nice warm feeling
that I'm pulling a config from a working kernel.
Re: Persistent kernel configs? (i.e. across upgrades) [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 07 October 2004 23:01, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use genkernel to create my kernels. What's the
> best way to make my kernel configs persistent
> across `emerge --update --deep --upgradeonly world`
> upgrades that build a new kernel?

I do not use genkernel, because building a kernel is so easy:
copy your old .config file into the new kernel src-dir.
run make oldconfig
run make all modules_install install
go to the toilett.
everything ready to reboot.

Could it be easier?

Glück Auf
Volker

Re: Persistent kernel configs? (i.e. across upgrades) [ In reply to ]
On пт, 2004-10-08 at 05:37 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2004 23:01, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I use genkernel to create my kernels. What's the
> > best way to make my kernel configs persistent
> > across `emerge --update --deep --upgradeonly world`
> > upgrades that build a new kernel?
>
> I do not use genkernel, because building a kernel is so easy:
> copy your old .config file into the new kernel src-dir.
> run make oldconfig
> run make all modules_install install
> go to the toilett.
> everything ready to reboot.
>
> Could it be easier?
>

> Glück Auf
> Volker

Kernel-configs genereted using genkernel are in /etc/kernels dir (all of
them).
For new kernel the config in /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-config-2.x
is used as a base.
HTH
--
Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@dir.bg>
Re: Persistent kernel configs? (i.e. across upgrades) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:01:16 -0400, Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use genkernel to create my kernels. What's the
> best way to make my kernel configs persistent
> across `emerge --update --deep --upgradeonly world`
> upgrades that build a new kernel?

If you save your /usr/src/linux/.config file (after a new kernel
build) to somewhere (say /root) then you can use that as the config
template for your new kernel by typing:

genkernel --kernel-config=/root/.config --menuconfig all

Just remember that if you change any of the config values in the
menuconfig portion of the build to copy over the new .config file back
to /root.

HTH,

...Ric
--
Ric de France
Ph: +61412945554 (international) or 0412945554 (Australia)

Re: Persistent kernel configs? (i.e. across upgrades) [ In reply to ]
On Friday 08 October 2004 06:25, Rumen Yotov wrote:

> > Could it be easier?
> >

> > Glück Auf
> > Volker
> >
> > --
>
> Hi,
> Kernel-configs genereted using genkernel are in /etc/kernels dir (all of
> them).
> For new kernel the config in /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-config-2.x
> is used as a base.
> HTH

öhm, that is... horrible.
Instead of copiing the .config from one well known dir to another, you have to
search and find some obscure configs? That does make genkernel even more
useless (and what about that initrd stuff? Why does a home-user, who builds
his kernels himself needs an initrd?)

Glück Auf
Volker

Re: Persistent kernel configs? (i.e. across upgrades) [ In reply to ]
On Friday 08 October 2004 08:27, Ric de France wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:01:16 -0400, Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I use genkernel to create my kernels. What's the
> > best way to make my kernel configs persistent
> > across `emerge --update --deep --upgradeonly world`
> > upgrades that build a new kernel?
>
> If you save your /usr/src/linux/.config file (after a new kernel
> build) to somewhere (say /root) then you can use that as the config
> template for your new kernel by typing:
>
> genkernel --kernel-config=/root/.config --menuconfig all
>
> Just remember that if you change any of the config values in the
> menuconfig portion of the build to copy over the new .config file back
> to /root.

And after that, I have a useless initrd, that will slow down my boot even more
and gives me no real value?
No, thanks, I still think, that copiing .config and 'make all modules install
install' is the faster and better way to install a kernel.

Glück Auf
Volker

Re: Persistent kernel configs? (i.e. across upgrades) [ In reply to ]
On пт, 2004-10-08 at 19:46 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Friday 08 October 2004 06:25, Rumen Yotov wrote:
>

> > > Could it be easier?
> > >

> > > Glück Auf
> > > Volker
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Hi,
> > Kernel-configs genereted using genkernel are in /etc/kernels dir (all of
> > them).
> > For new kernel the config in /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-config-2.x
> > is used as a base.
> > HTH
>

> öhm, that is... horrible.
> Instead of copiing the .config from one well known dir to another, you have to
> search and find some obscure configs? That does make genkernel even more
> useless (and what about that initrd stuff? Why does a home-user, who builds
> his kernels himself needs an initrd?)
>
> Glück Auf
> Volker

Could say i used both tools: for quite a year used genkernel - not a
single problem (leave alone initial reading, tring ...).
it's logic as i see it is:
1.If you reemerge a kernel you're re-using previous kernel config
automagically, just for start, could change it using --menuconfig etc.
2.For new kernels: copy the desired config
to /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-config.2.x and use genkernel.
For last 3-4 months use manual kernel config, compile - had to because
of some bug with genkernel and my hardened GCC i think (error on making
initrd). Don't blame genkernel it just don't work for this (or maybe
works, hadn't researched this). Also because of using rsbac-kernel (bugs
when booting with initrd but on >2.6.7-rXX only), but that's also a
special case not usual config.
Because of this it's not necessarily a VERY bad thing/tool.
Also think that initrd isn't bad thing by itself, just genkernel uses it
by default (by memory only) you could not use it (see genkernel --help).
PS: Recently haven't checked if genkernel works for me.
HTH
--
Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@dir.bg>
Re: Persistent kernel configs? (i.e. across upgrades) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> öhm, that is... horrible.
> Instead of copiing the .config from one well known dir to another, you have to
> search and find some obscure configs? That does make genkernel even more
> useless (and what about that initrd stuff? Why does a home-user, who builds
> his kernels himself needs an initrd?)

This is why I dont use genkernel...

--
zombie n.

[Unix] A process that has died but has not yet
relinquished its process table slot (because the parent process
hasn't executed a wait(2) for it yet). These can be seen in
ps(1) listings occasionally. Compare orphan.