usefull.

Cheers
Dave

Re: Slowing AMD CPUs to reduce heat ? [ In reply to ]
Dave S wrote:
> Somewhere I read an article about automaticly slowing AMD processors to
> reduce the amount of heat they produce while idleing.
>
> My XP3000+ definately kicks out some heat, can anyone point me in the
> right direction. I have scoured the kernel but have not found anything
> usefull.

I don't think XP's have speed stepping or whatever amd calls it. There
is an article on Tom's Hardware that details what you can do to turn
your XP into an XP-mobile which does have that capability.

Whether or not the kernel or cpudyn/cpufreq is able to control a
modified XP that way is unknown to me.

Here is the article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041001/index.html

Re: Slowing AMD CPUs to reduce heat ? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 07 October 2004 22:50, Dave S wrote:
> Somewhere I read an article about automaticly slowing AMD processors
> to reduce the amount of heat they produce while idleing.
>
> My XP3000+ definately kicks out some heat, can anyone point me in the
> right direction. I have scoured the kernel but have not found
> anything usefull.
>
> Cheers
> Dave
>
> --

What about athcool?

$emerge -s athcool

Searching...
[ Results for search key : athcool ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* sys-apps/athcool
Latest version available: 0.3.7
Latest version installed: 0.3.7
Size of downloaded files: 18 kB
Homepage:
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/jacobi/linux/softwares.html#athcool
Athlon/Duron processors
License: GPL-2

Ciao
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.8.1, Compiled #1 Sat Sep 18 14:48:12 CEST 2004
One 665MHz AMD Duron Processor, 768M RAM, 1302.52 Bogomips Total