Not really gentoo (i seem to be getting picky about this!), but does
anyone know how to stop mozilla from opening a new browser window
every time I download a file? I just get rid of them, them being empty
windas...
Cheers
Antoine
--
G System, The Evolving GUniverse - http://www.g-system.at

Re: mozilla opens a new window for downloads... [ In reply to ]
Try installing tabbrowser extensions:

http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_tabextensions.html.en

There is a setting in it under advanced to only ever use one browser
window. Not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for, but would
be worth a try.

Preston

Re: mozilla opens a new window for downloads... [ In reply to ]
Preston Hagar wrote:
> Try installing tabbrowser extensions:
>
> http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_tabextensions.html.en

> There is a setting in it under advanced to only ever use one browser
> window. Not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for, but would
> be worth a try.
>
> Preston
>

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 20:30:29 +0200, Antoine <melser.anton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>Not really gentoo (i seem to be getting picky about this!), but does
>>anyone know how to stop mozilla from opening a new browser window
>>every time I download a file? I just get rid of them, them being empty
>>windas...
>>Cheers
>>Antoine

Tabbrowser extensions would be a good idea, except tabbrowser extensions
(TBE) tends to cause other problems.

I myself use an extension for only this purpose (probably part of the
push to split the TBE functionality into more manageable bites for people)

Disable Targets For Downloads 0.6.
Prevents sites spawning blank windows when clicking binary downloads.

You can find it here:
http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=241&vid=635

Works fine for me.

Holly

Re: mozilla opens a new window for downloads... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Antoine wrote:

> Not really gentoo (i seem to be getting picky about this!), but does
> anyone know how to stop mozilla from opening a new browser window
> every time I download a file? I just get rid of them, them being empty
> windas...

Why can't you RIGHT click and do "Save Link As" instead?

--
brochureware n.

Planned but non-existent product like
vaporware, but with the added implication that marketing is
actively selling and promoting it (they've printed brochures).
Brochureware is often deployed as a strategic weapon; the idea is
to con customers into not committing to an existing product of the
competition's. It is a safe bet that when a brochureware product
finally becomes real, it will be more expensive than and inferior
to the alternatives that had been available for years.

Re: mozilla opens a new window for downloads... [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 23:02:35 -0400 (EDT), Ajai Khattri <ajai@bway.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Antoine wrote:
>
> > Not really gentoo (i seem to be getting picky about this!), but does
> > anyone know how to stop mozilla from opening a new browser window
> > every time I download a file? I just get rid of them, them being empty
> > windas...
>
> Why can't you RIGHT click and do "Save Link As" instead?

I could, but that is also extra effort... I don't understand why it
can't be made the default behaviour when a link is clicked on that
mozilla would just download anyway... I am guessing that one instance
could get rid of another instance (having it appear and then disappear
would be fine) as they are linked somehow (via gecko?). Surely this
could be made a configurable option?
Cheers
Antoine

--
G System, The Evolving GUniverse - http://www.g-system.at

Re: mozilla opens a new window for downloads... [ In reply to ]
yep, sure...in OPTIONS, DOWNLOAD MANAGER.

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 06:53:05 +0200, Antoine <melser.anton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 23:02:35 -0400 (EDT), Ajai Khattri <ajai@bway.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Antoine wrote:
> >
> > > Not really gentoo (i seem to be getting picky about this!), but does
> > > anyone know how to stop mozilla from opening a new browser window
> > > every time I download a file? I just get rid of them, them being empty
> > > windas...
> >
> > Why can't you RIGHT click and do "Save Link As" instead?
>
> I could, but that is also extra effort... I don't understand why it
> can't be made the default behaviour when a link is clicked on that
> mozilla would just download anyway... I am guessing that one instance
> could get rid of another instance (having it appear and then disappear
> would be fine) as they are linked somehow (via gecko?). Surely this
> could be made a configurable option?
> Cheers
> Antoine
>
> --
> G System, The Evolving GUniverse - http://www.g-system.at

---

When we are young
Wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal
For a limited time

Neil Peart - Dreamline

Re: mozilla opens a new window for downloads... [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Antoine wrote:

> > Why can't you RIGHT click and do "Save Link As" instead?
>
> I could, but that is also extra effort... I don't understand why it
> can't be made the default behaviour when a link is clicked on that
> mozilla would just download anyway... I am guessing that one instance
> could get rid of another instance (having it appear and then disappear
> would be fine) as they are linked somehow (via gecko?). Surely this
> could be made a configurable option?

It *is* - look in your Preferences...

--
mundane n.

[from SF fandom] 1. A person who is not in
science fiction fandom. 2. A person who is not in the computer
industry. In this sense, most often an adjectival modifier as in
"in my mundane life...." See also Real World.

Re: mozilla opens a new window for downloads... [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 10 October 2004 10:20 pm, Ajai Khattri wrote:

> > I could, but that is also extra effort... I don't understand why it
> > can't be made the default behaviour when a link is clicked on that
> > mozilla would just download anyway... I am guessing that one instance
> > could get rid of another instance (having it appear and then disappear
> > would be fine) as they are linked somehow (via gecko?). Surely this
> > could be made a configurable option?
>
> It *is* - look in your Preferences...

Please, point it out for us..

Jeff
Re: mozilla opens a new window for downloads... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Jeff Smelser wrote:

> On Sunday 10 October 2004 10:20 pm, Ajai Khattri wrote:
>
> > > I could, but that is also extra effort... I don't understand why it
> > > can't be made the default behaviour when a link is clicked on that
> > > mozilla would just download anyway... I am guessing that one instance
> > > could get rid of another instance (having it appear and then disappear
> > > would be fine) as they are linked somehow (via gecko?). Surely this
> > > could be made a configurable option?
> >
> > It *is* - look in your Preferences...
>
> Please, point it out for us..

Have you looked in the Preferences under Navigator -> Downloads ??

--
FSF /F-S-F/ abbrev.

Common abbreviation (both spoken and
written) for the name of the Free Software Foundation, a nonprofit
educational association formed to support the GNU
project.