cam as well so the conversation can be two way.

i've checked out gnomemeeting, but as a kde user, installing the additional
38packages seems a bit crazy when i don't even know if it'll work or if
there's alternatives... are there?

--
i would not be a capitalist, i would be a man;
you cannot be both at the same time.
- eugene debs

Re: linux and webcams (msn too) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 01:44 -0400, daniel wrote:
> i have a friend on the other side of the country with a webcam. i'd like to
> be able to make use of their cam when we're talking over msn, but as a linux
> user i'm not sure where to start. ideally, i'd like to go out and get my own
> cam as well so the conversation can be two way.
>
> i've checked out gnomemeeting, but as a kde user, installing the additional
> 38packages seems a bit crazy when i don't even know if it'll work or if
> there's alternatives... are there?

Check out the gaim-vv project. It's a minor fork of gaim with webcam
support added in, although it does lag behind the current gaim release.
Of course it is hoping to be merged back into gaim when it's ready.

As a possibly more practical solution for now you might want to set up
gnomemeeting on your PC and MS netmeeting on your friends. It means
that you won't get the nice integrated camera picture on the Windows PC,
but it does mean that it'll work. ;)

--
Tom Wesley <tom@tomaw.org>