card. Are there any HOWTOs for this card, or does anyone know what
modules and settings I need to get it to work? Thanks!

-Andy

Re: Linksys WPC54G 802.11g [ In reply to ]
>>>>> "Andy" == Andy Herrman <aherrman@gmail.com> writes:

Andy> I just got a Linksys WPC54G 802.11g PCMCIA card and
Andy> was wondering how to get it to work.

I beleive that is what I have (pci id 168c:0013). If so,
you need madwif. Cf:

http://madwifi.sf.net
http://sf.net.projects/madwifi

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <cloos@jhcloos.com> <http://jhcloos.com>

Re: Linksys WPC54G 802.11g [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 06 October 2004 4:11 pm, Andy Herrman wrote:
> I just got a Linksys WPC54G 802.11g PCMCIA card and was wondering how
> to get it to work. I used to use Orinoco cards so I have the
> orinoco/hermes modules installed, but they didn't seem to pick up the
> card. Are there any HOWTOs for this card, or does anyone know what
> modules and settings I need to get it to work? Thanks!

I've been using a WPC54G for a while now. Works pretty well. You need to
use ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) with the Windows drivers
that came with the card. Ebuilds exist for most everything you need but you
still have to manually copy and setup the drivers yourself. The ndiswrapper
ebuild should point you in the right direction.

Josh

Re: Linksys WPC54G 802.11g [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 22:31:04 -0700, Josh Helmer <joshhelmer@cox.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 October 2004 4:11 pm, Andy Herrman wrote:
> > I just got a Linksys WPC54G 802.11g PCMCIA card and was wondering how
> > to get it to work. I used to use Orinoco cards so I have the
> > orinoco/hermes modules installed, but they didn't seem to pick up the
> > card. Are there any HOWTOs for this card, or does anyone know what
> > modules and settings I need to get it to work? Thanks!
>
> I've been using a WPC54G for a while now. Works pretty well. You need to
> use ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) with the Windows drivers
> that came with the card. Ebuilds exist for most everything you need but you
> still have to manually copy and setup the drivers yourself. The ndiswrapper
> ebuild should point you in the right direction.
>
> Josh

Great, I'll try that this weekend. Thanks!

-Andy

Re: Linksys WPC54G 802.11g [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:04:44 -0400, Andy Herrman <aherrman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 22:31:04 -0700, Josh Helmer <joshhelmer@cox.net> wrote:
> >

> > On Wednesday 06 October 2004 4:11 pm, Andy Herrman wrote:
> > > I just got a Linksys WPC54G 802.11g PCMCIA card and was wondering how
> > > to get it to work. I used to use Orinoco cards so I have the
> > > orinoco/hermes modules installed, but they didn't seem to pick up the
> > > card. Are there any HOWTOs for this card, or does anyone know what
> > > modules and settings I need to get it to work? Thanks!
> >
> > I've been using a WPC54G for a while now. Works pretty well. You need to
> > use ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) with the Windows drivers
> > that came with the card. Ebuilds exist for most everything you need but you
> > still have to manually copy and setup the drivers yourself. The ndiswrapper
> > ebuild should point you in the right direction.
> >
> > Josh
> >

> > --
> >

> Great, I'll try that this weekend. Thanks!
>
> -Andy

Well, I got ndiswrapper installed, along with the windows driver for
the card. The card is detected by iwconfig, but if I try to set the
encription key (through iwconfig) the machine completely hangs (looks
like the kernel crashed). I tried turning off encription on my
router, just to test, and my machine crashed when I tried to run
dhcpcd on wlan0. Has anyone run into this before?

-Andy

Re: Linksys WPC54G 802.11g [ In reply to ]
I have never run into that same problem but I do have the WPC54GS and
used ndiswrapper to get it working. I also followed a howto in the
forums something like how to setup wireless the gentoo way. Basically
you unmask and emerge baselayout-1.11 and setup /etc/conf.d/wireless
and everything works perfect. All I have to do is
'/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start' and that starts my wireless and wep. If
you figure out how to do wpa please let me know, I played around with
wpa_supplicant to no avail. If you need more help just post back to
here, in the meantime I will search for that forums link.

Re: Linksys WPC54G 802.11g [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 08:10:42 -0500, derek tracy <tracyde@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have never run into that same problem but I do have the WPC54GS and
> used ndiswrapper to get it working. I also followed a howto in the
> forums something like how to setup wireless the gentoo way. Basically
> you unmask and emerge baselayout-1.11 and setup /etc/conf.d/wireless
> and everything works perfect. All I have to do is
> '/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start' and that starts my wireless and wep. If
> you figure out how to do wpa please let me know, I played around with
> wpa_supplicant to no avail. If you need more help just post back to
> here, in the meantime I will search for that forums link.
>
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:12:39 -0400, Andy Herrman <aherrman@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Great, I'll try that this weekend. Thanks!
> > >
> > > -Andy
> > >

> > Well, I got ndiswrapper installed, along with the windows driver for
> > the card. The card is detected by iwconfig, but if I try to set the
> > encription key (through iwconfig) the machine completely hangs (looks
> > like the kernel crashed). I tried turning off encription on my
> > router, just to test, and my machine crashed when I tried to run
> > dhcpcd on wlan0. Has anyone run into this before?
> >

> > -Andy
> >
> > --

Which driver did you use for it? The one that came with the card or
one of the ones suggested on the ndiswrapper page? I noticed there
was a native driver they listed, but when I ran the configure script
on it it wanted my firmware, but I have no clue where to get it.

-Andy