Mailing List Archive

LG DVD-RW mounting problem
Hi all,

I want to use my LG DVD burner in my fresh, juicy gentoo system.
Reading through forums and google I did not find the solution.

Is there a fine doc which describes the necessary steps?

Thank you in advance

Bets, Sub

Re: LG DVD-RW mounting problem [ In reply to ]
umm... could you detail it a bit more?... what is your problem
exactly... trying to mount a dvd of data?... I will suppose that your
dvd burner is internal and ATA... so it will be added to some device
like this. /dev/hdx or something like that... (where x can be
a,b,c,d... it will depend) to test it first... put a data dvd on your
burner... and as root type this:

mount /dev/hdx /mnt/cdrom

I don't know if this helped you someway...

David GP

Re: LG DVD-RW mounting problem [ In reply to ]
mounting WHAT?

andres

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:19:50 +0200, David García Pérez <davidgp@gmail.com> wrote:
> umm... could you detail it a bit more?... what is your problem
> exactly... trying to mount a dvd of data?... I will suppose that your
> dvd burner is internal and ATA... so it will be added to some device
> like this. /dev/hdx or something like that... (where x can be
> a,b,c,d... it will depend) to test it first... put a data dvd on your
> burner... and as root type this:
>
> mount /dev/hdx /mnt/cdrom
>
> I don't know if this helped you someway...
>
> David GP
>

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:07:32 +0200, Subiaco <subiaco@freedom.hu> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to use my LG DVD burner in my fresh, juicy gentoo system.
> > Reading through forums and google I did not find the solution.
> >
> > Is there a fine doc which describes the necessary steps?
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> >
> > Bets, Sub
> >
> > --

---

When we are young
Wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal
For a limited time

Neil Peart - Dreamline

Re: LG DVD-RW mounting problem [ In reply to ]
wow my second email seems to be lost...

I repeat then:

Additional info:

As my burner is /dev/hda1 (the HDD is a sata), I get the following error message when I want to mount the burner:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/hda1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device

Re: LG DVD-RW mounting problem [ In reply to ]

> I repeat then:
>
> Additional info:
>
> As my burner is /dev/hda1 (the HDD is a sata), I get the following error message when I want to mount the burner:
>
> mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/cdrom
> mount: block device /dev/hda1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device

that is wrong... a cd/dvd doesn't use partitions... so you need to do only:

mount /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom

witthout the 1.

btw: I forgot to tell you... in my gentoo linux the dev systems
creates a special device for the cd/dvd units... it is on
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 for the first cd/dvd /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 for the
second and so on... it is just a symlic that points to the same site
that /dev/hda, in your case.

David GP

Re: LG DVD-RW mounting problem [ In reply to ]
ok, the disc that you try to mount, is a DATA disc?

or you want to create a dvd? or data dvd?

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:41:13 +0200, Subiaco <subiaco@freedom.hu> wrote:
> wow my second email seems to be lost...
>
> I repeat then:
>
> Additional info:
>
> As my burner is /dev/hda1 (the HDD is a sata), I get the following error message when I want to mount the burner:
>
> mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/cdrom
> mount: block device /dev/hda1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device
>
> Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:19:50 +0200-n David García Pérez <davidgp@gmail.com> írta:
>

> > umm... could you detail it a bit more?... what is your problem
> > exactly... trying to mount a dvd of data?... I will suppose that your
> > dvd burner is internal and ATA... so it will be added to some device
> > like this. /dev/hdx or something like that... (where x can be
> > a,b,c,d... it will depend) to test it first... put a data dvd on your
> > burner... and as root type this:
> >
> > mount /dev/hdx /mnt/cdrom
> >
> > I don't know if this helped you someway...
> >
> > David GP
> >

> > On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:07:32 +0200, Subiaco <subiaco@freedom.hu> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I want to use my LG DVD burner in my fresh, juicy gentoo system.
> > > Reading through forums and google I did not find the solution.
> > >
> > > Is there a fine doc which describes the necessary steps?
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance
> > >
> > > Bets, Sub
> > >
> > > --

---

Re: LG DVD-RW mounting problem SOLVED [ In reply to ]
On, man, I need coffee, you're absolutely right! :)

Thank you very much

Best,
Sub

Re: LG DVD-RW mounting problem [ In reply to ]
Well first of all, I wanted to see it working.

next phase is to burn cds/dvds. this takes some rtfm first.

Re: LG DVD-RW mounting problem SOLVED [ In reply to ]
no problem... I'm glad that it helped you... :D

David GP

Re: LG DVD-RW mounting problem [ In reply to ]
ok, just be aware of one detail.

I have the same unit, and with the standard linux tools, its
impossible to write dvds in 4x.
at least, I try with everything, and I made the RTFM first...a lot of M.

Andres

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:57:08 +0200, Subiaco <subiaco@freedom.hu> wrote:
> Well first of all, I wanted to see it working.
>
> next phase is to burn cds/dvds. this takes some rtfm first.
>
> Wed, 6 Oct 2004 09:53:42 -0400-n Andres Moore <andres.moore@gmail.com> írta:
>

> > ok, the disc that you try to mount, is a DATA disc?
> >
> > or you want to create a dvd? or data dvd?
> >

> > On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:41:13 +0200, Subiaco <subiaco@freedom.hu> wrote:
> > > wow my second email seems to be lost...
> > >
> > > I repeat then:
> > >
> > > Additional info:
> > >
> > > As my burner is /dev/hda1 (the HDD is a sata), I get the following error message when I want to mount the burner:
> > >
> > > mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/cdrom
> > > mount: block device /dev/hda1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> > > mount: /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device

> > --
> > ---
> >
> > When we are young
> > Wandering the face of the Earth
> > Wondering what our dreams might be worth
> > Learning that we're only immortal
> > For a limited time
> >
> > Neil Peart - Dreamline
> >
> > --

---

Re: LG DVD-RW mounting problem [ In reply to ]
Am Mittwoch, 6. Oktober 2004 15:07 schrieb ext Subiaco:
> [something]
Please stop thread hijacking.

Thanx...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)151 1513 6954
Cap Gemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@capgemini.com