Mailing List Archive

usbstorage + hotplug?
Dudes,

Newbie to gentoo here. Some hand holding please.

Under FC2, I used to be able to plug in the usb-drive
(pendrive/thumdrive etc) and it will automatically call upon the hotplug
daemon and load up usb-storage.

Under gentoo, I don't see this happening. It's recognising it, but it's
not autoloading

I have to manually moprobe usb-storage to get it to recognise my usb
drive. Do I really need to load it up at startup??

I understand that hotplug is available, during the install, gentoo
handbook noted it, but it was only noted for genkernel users and not ppl
who choose to compile their own kernel.

What gives? Input please

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel

Re: usbstorage + hot-plug? [ In reply to ]
Alle 11:45, mercoledì 06 ottobre 2004, Ow Mun Heng ha scritto:

> I understand that hotplug is available, during the install, gentoo
> handbook noted it, but it was only noted for genkernel users and not
> ppl who choose to compile their own kernel.
>
> What gives? Input please
I use it and I compiled myself all my kernels!
use:
emerge hot-plug
rc-update add hot-plug default
/etc/init.f/hotplug start
and try to plug-in your camera (look in dmesg)
You must be sure that pci and usb hotplugging start both (sorry I don't
know the system for fire-wire device)
Bye
Luigi
--