didn't find one). Anyone?

Cheers,

Erwin

Re: voice comunication tool [ In reply to ]
Erwin Dassen wrote:
> Hi users, I wanted to know if any of you know of a ALSA voice
> comunication tool for games and stuff. You know, like teamspeak
> (teamspeak is OSS). Ventrilo doesn't have a client for linux (at least I
> didn't find one). Anyone?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Erwin

If teamspeak uses OSS, won't it work with ALSA OSS emulation? Everything
else seems to (in other words, ALSA OSS emulation has always worked fine
for me).

Holly

Re: voice comunication tool [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:20:04 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
> Erwin Dassen wrote:
> > Hi users, I wanted to know if any of you know of a ALSA voice
> > comunication tool for games and stuff. You know, like teamspeak
> > (teamspeak is OSS). Ventrilo doesn't have a client for linux (at least I
> > didn't find one). Anyone?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Erwin
> >

> If teamspeak uses OSS, won't it work with ALSA OSS emulation? Everything
> else seems to (in other words, ALSA OSS emulation has always worked fine
> for me).
>
> Holly

Hi,
Since this came up the other day we might as well try using it. If
Holly's suggestion of jsut using the OSS emulation built into the
kernel doesn't work by itself, then you hav another option available.
emerge alsa-oss and then run 'aoss teamspeak' and give that a try.

Good luck,
Mark

Re: voice comunication tool [ In reply to ]
I've been using teamspeak with ALSA without troubles.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM

Re: voice comunication tool [ In reply to ]
Teamspeak is just fine. Although it made a big differnce for my SB
Audigy Platinum compiling ALSA into the kernel (good) versus using the
ALSA drivers (bad).

Canek Peláez schrieb:
> I've been using teamspeak with ALSA without troubles.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Heinz Sporn

SPORN it-freelancing

Mobile: ++43 (0)699 / 127 827 07
Email: heinz.sporn@sporn-it.com
heinz.sporn@utanet.at
Snail: Steyrer Str. 20
A-4540 Bad Hall
Austria / Europe

Re: voice comunication tool [ In reply to ]

Re: voice comunication tool [ In reply to ]
Heinz Sporn wrote:
> Teamspeak is just fine. Although it made a big differnce for my SB
> Audigy Platinum compiling ALSA into the kernel (good) versus using the
> ALSA drivers (bad).

by "versus using the ALSA drivers" you mean compiling them as modules?

--

Adi

Re: voice comunication tool [ In reply to ]
No I meant emerging alsa-drivers. But to be honest that was at least 6
months ago. So maybe they're much more reliable now.

Re: voice comunication tool [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:20:04 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
>

>>Erwin Dassen wrote:
>>

>>>Hi users, I wanted to know if any of you know of a ALSA voice
>>>comunication tool for games and stuff. You know, like teamspeak
>>>(teamspeak is OSS). Ventrilo doesn't have a client for linux (at least I
>>>didn't find one). Anyone?
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Erwin
>>>

>>If teamspeak uses OSS, won't it work with ALSA OSS emulation? Everything
>>else seems to (in other words, ALSA OSS emulation has always worked fine
>>for me).
>>
>>Holly
>>

>Hi,
> Since this came up the other day we might as well try using it. If
>Holly's suggestion of jsut using the OSS emulation built into the
>kernel doesn't work by itself, then you hav another option available.
>emerge alsa-oss and then run 'aoss teamspeak' and give that a try.
>
>Good luck,
>Mark
>
>--

Yes it works with OSS emulation but the sound is far from good (even
with the highest bitrate).

That aside, do ALSA support the latest audigy (hardware mixing of
course)? And some kind of 3D positional algorithm like EAX?

I have an nforce2 chipset (Soundstorm) and everywhere they saying that
the driver from nvidia are terrible. I'm thinking in buying a new sound
card and I wanted complete ALSA support (surround sound etc...). What
is the best choice?

Cheers,
Erwin

P.S. I know this is not about voice comm. tool anymore but it's still
sound heh?

Re: voice comunication tool [ In reply to ]
Erwin Dassen wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:20:04 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl>
>> wrote:

>>> If teamspeak uses OSS, won't it work with ALSA OSS emulation?
>>> Everything
>>> else seems to (in other words, ALSA OSS emulation has always worked
>>> fine
>>> for me).
>>>
>>> Holly
>>>

>> Hi,
>> Since this came up the other day we might as well try using it. If
>> Holly's suggestion of jsut using the OSS emulation built into the
>> kernel doesn't work by itself, then you hav another option available.
>> emerge alsa-oss and then run 'aoss teamspeak' and give that a try.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Mark
>>
>> --
>>

> Yes it works with OSS emulation but the sound is far from good (even
> with the highest bitrate).
>
> That aside, do ALSA support the latest audigy (hardware mixing of
> course)? And some kind of 3D positional algorithm like EAX?
>
> I have an nforce2 chipset (Soundstorm) and everywhere they saying that
> the driver from nvidia are terrible. I'm thinking in buying a new
> sound card and I wanted complete ALSA support (surround sound
> etc...). What is the best choice?
>
> Cheers,
> Erwin
>
> P.S. I know this is not about voice comm. tool anymore but it's still
> sound heh?

In the future I suggest that you don't hijack a topic, but what I
suggest AC 97 compatible sound card, because they are fully supported
under ALSA (including surroundsound and such) and they are somewhat
standard. I don't know however where to find a list of cards that use a
AC 97 compatible chipset.

Alex S.