Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 11:29:13 up 2:57, 8 users, load average: 0.54, 1.09, 1.23

Re: Reboot/Shutdown, not verbose but abrupt [ In reply to ]
On 4 Oct 2004, at 20:31, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> Coming from FC2, I'm accustomed to seeing things scroll by as I'm
> shutting down, it's like.. it's telling me what's happening. Is it
> shutting down sendmail? It's at pcmcia already.
>
> But in Gentoo, if I type reboot in xterm, I don't see any messages.
> (not
> even the "sytem being rebooted broadcast message") and then a couple of
> seconds later, I see the BIOS screen.

xterm isn't a console TTY, so it doesn't receive messages from the boot
scripts. Switch to vc/0 if you want to see those messages.
Re: Reboot/Shutdown, not verbose but abrupt [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 07:10, Andrew Farmer wrote:
> On 4 Oct 2004, at 20:31, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > Coming from FC2, I'm accustomed to seeing things scroll by as I'm
> > shutting down, it's like.. it's telling me what's happening. Is it
> > shutting down sendmail? It's at pcmcia already.
> >
> > But in Gentoo, if I type reboot in xterm, I don't see any messages.
> > (not
> > even the "sytem being rebooted broadcast message") and then a couple of
> > seconds later, I see the BIOS screen.
>
> xterm isn't a console TTY, so it doesn't receive messages from the boot
> scripts. Switch to vc/0 if you want to see those messages.

Now that is funny. I login from another box using putty and when I
shutdown, I still do see those messages under other distros. Can you
tell me how that is done then?

There should be a _broadcast_ message to _everyone_ still in the system
right?? Telling them to save their work and log off.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 09:39:30 up 31 min, 6 users, load average: 0.67, 0.87, 0.83