is some years old. So i have thought about that and since Portage is using
rsyng it shouldn't be a big problem to implement this (is it isn't available
allready ;-).

Coul you please give me a hint about that? If it's not implemented i am going
to ask the developers... ;-)

Regards
--
Johannes Findeisen

Re: emerge sync without rsync --delete [ In reply to ]
One solution - If you want to keep old ebuilds you can put them in your
portage overlay. That won't get overwritten.

directory.

Re: emerge sync without rsync --delete [ In reply to ]
> One solution - If you want to keep old ebuilds you can put them in your
> portage overlay. That won't get overwritten.

The ebuilds of emerged packages are automatically copied to somewhere in
/var i think. They are still there, but portage doesn't use them :-(

Re: emerge sync without rsync --delete [ In reply to ]
Hello Brett,

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 03:46, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> One solution - If you want to keep old ebuilds you can put them in your
> portage overlay. That won't get overwritten.

Thats a workaround i could live with but i think you didn't understand right.
But You gave me the idea what to do:

I will setup an alias in my .zshrc (Yes, i am using the zshell) that will do
the following. Do an emerge sync and then do another rsync to a local
directory without --delete. Then i have a growing Portage tree that might not
will work cause of many duplicates when ebuilds has moved but a repository of
all ebuilds since the initial sync (maybe in some hours, i am going to sleep
now (5:40 AM - Germany) ;-)

Thanks! I love Gentoo... Good night!
--
Johannes Findeisen

Re: Re: emerge sync without rsync --delete [ In reply to ]
Glad it helped even if I didn't understand <G>! Let us know how it works.

Re: emerge sync without rsync --delete [ In reply to ]
Hello Brett,

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 14:00, brettholcomb@charter.net wrote:
> Glad it helped even if I didn't understand <G>! Let us know how it works.

here you get my very simple solution to solve my problem. Setup a line like
this in your .zshrc, .bashrc or whatever shell you use:

alias ems="emerge sync && rsync -rlutgoHp /usr/portage/ /tmp/portage/"

After relogin you should have a command called "ems" which is doing the work
for you. This only works if /tmp/portage/ is the destination for your growing
portage tree. I have done it this way at the moment... Look at the available
rsync commands to see if it fits to your needs. You could increase the
verbosity by setting -v to the rsync command. I don't want that behavior
because i want to see the last output of "emerge sync". This solution gives
me all i need so i do not spend more time on that but maybe there will be a
feature like this, builtin in portage, so we don't need to make a copy... ;-)

Be sure that a call of "ems" takes some time longer than a simple "emerge
sync".

Have a nice day
--
Johannes Findeisen

Re: emerge sync without rsync --delete [ In reply to ]
mailman@hanez.org wrote:
> I will setup an alias in my .zshrc (Yes, i am using the zshell) that will do
> the following. Do an emerge sync and then do another rsync to a local
> directory without --delete. Then i have a growing Portage tree that might not
> will work cause of many duplicates when ebuilds has moved but a repository of
> all ebuilds since the initial sync (maybe in some hours, i am going to sleep
> now (5:40 AM - Germany) ;-)

Your workaround is space wasting, I would go with simple emerge modify.
Just open /usr/bin/emerge and erase the line nr. 2611:

"--delete", # Delete files that aren't in the master tree

this command does it for u: (must be root)

sed -i '/^ *"--delete", *# Delete files/d' /usr/bin/emerge

noro