portage take care of this after the new version has been tested
successfuly?

After reading forum.gentoo.org concerning portage maintenance scrips I
have a question on opinions on what do you people think is the optimal
script for removing all the old crap from eg. distfiles without removing
all too much?

TIA
Christian Harju

Re: portage and software maintenance [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 10:24 +0300, Arctic Paintball Oy wrote:
> My question concearns version policy involving installed software. Meaning
> that some old software is not removed when installing new version, like
> kde and gimp. Im having problems with diskspace lately at /, and like to
> know what would be the best way to remove these. Is there a way to let
> portage take care of this after the new version has been tested
> successfuly?

For kde you should be able to

emerge -Pa kde && emerge -a depclean && revdep-rebuild -p
<review>
revdep-rebuild

But be careful that it isn't trying to remove anything you might want
with the depclean. It should remove all but the latest kde providing
your world file is set up correctly.

> After reading forum.gentoo.org concerning portage maintenance scrips I
> have a question on opinions on what do you people think is the optimal
> script for removing all the old crap from eg. distfiles without removing
> all too much?
>
> TIA
> Christian Harju

I use the distclean script from the forums, and the one from "Clean out
your world file" for cleaning unneeded deps and the like.

Hope this helps,

--
Tom Wesley <tom@tomaw.org>
Re: portage and software maintenance [ In reply to ]
Tom Wesley wrote:
> For kde you should be able to
>
> emerge -Pa kde && emerge -a depclean && revdep-rebuild -p
> <review>
> revdep-rebuild

After doing a 'emerge -P kdepim kdenetwork kdeadmin kdemultimedia
kdebase arts kdesdk kdelibs' (because I didn't 'emerge kde' originaly).
Then I get 320 packages for removal when doing a 'emerge -p depclean'. I
didn't go through the whole list, but I saw quite a few that I had
explicitly emerged and should definitely be in my world file. What's up
with that? I thought that this was only supposed to flag unneeded
_dependancies_ that are _not_ in the world file. Am I wrong about this?

Suggestions on how I can clean up this mess?

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: portage and software maintenance [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:12:58 -0500, J. Patrick Lanigan wrote:

> > For kde you should be able to
> >
> > emerge -Pa kde && emerge -a depclean && revdep-rebuild -p
> > <review>
> > revdep-rebuild

qpkg -nc -I -g kde-base | xargs emerge -P

Is another way of cleaning out old versions of KDE.

> After doing a 'emerge -P kdepim kdenetwork kdeadmin kdemultimedia
> kdebase arts kdesdk kdelibs' (because I didn't 'emerge kde'
> originaly). Then I get 320 packages for removal when doing a 'emerge
> -p depclean'. I didn't go through the whole list, but I saw quite a
> few that I had explicitly emerged and should definitely be in my world
> file. What's up with that? I thought that this was only supposed to
> flag unneeded _dependancies_ that are _not_ in the world file. Am I
> wrong about this?

Have you recently switched between portage 2.0.50 and 2.0.51? They use a
different location for the world file. The upgrade to 2.0.51 copied my
wold file, but when I had problems with it and downgraded, the old world
file was only a couple of bytes long and depclean wanted to remove
everything.

world moved from /var/cache/edb to /var/lib/portage.

--
Neil Bothwick

I am Tagline of Borg. Prepare to assimilate me.
Re: portage and software maintenance [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:
> qpkg -nc -I -g kde-base | xargs emerge -P

nice!

>>After doing a 'emerge -P kdepim kdenetwork kdeadmin kdemultimedia
>>kdebase arts kdesdk kdelibs' (because I didn't 'emerge kde'
>>originaly). Then I get 320 packages for removal when doing a 'emerge
>>-p depclean'. I didn't go through the whole list, but I saw quite a
>>few that I had explicitly emerged and should definitely be in my world
>>file. What's up with that? I thought that this was only supposed to
>>flag unneeded _dependancies_ that are _not_ in the world file. Am I
>>wrong about this?
>

> Have you recently switched between portage 2.0.50 and 2.0.51? They use a
> different location for the world file. The upgrade to 2.0.51 copied my
> wold file, but when I had problems with it and downgraded, the old world
> file was only a couple of bytes long and depclean wanted to remove
> everything.
>
> world moved from /var/cache/edb to /var/lib/portage.

I have not gone to 2.0.51. I stay with stable packages unless I have to
upgrade a package for new functionality. Since I don't see a need for
the ~x86 portage, I have not tried it.

So, this is all that is in my world file. _Much_ less than what I have
explicitly emerged:

# cat /var/cache/edb/world
app-admin/procinfo
sys-fs/devfsd
dev-python/psyco
games-emulation/gxmame
x11-themes/fluxbox-styles-fluxmod
dev-perl/Time-Duration
media-video/gxine
app-text/gsview
sys-apps/i2c
media-video/ati-drivers
media-libs/alsa-lib
x11-misc/xplore
net-nds/openldap
sys-apps/lm-sensors
x11-base/xorg-x11
games-misc/fortune-mod
app-text/ghostscript-afpl
app-text/ghostview
dev-java/blackdown-jdk
app-misc/figlet
sys-devel/gcc-config
dev-java/java-sdk-docs
x11-wm/fluxbox
dev-java/sun-jdk
media-sound/cdmp3

If I do this:

# emerge -p depclean | grep / | sort > depclean.sorted

...and clean the output of dependancies, would it be safe to then append
that to my world file? Or is there an automated way to fix my world
file? Or...?

Thanks,
Patrick

Re: portage and software maintenance [ In reply to ]
> > qpkg -nc -I -g kde-base | xargs emerge -P

For some reason, I could not get this command to work for me; emerge
kept failing with an error. Instead, I used:

qpkg -nc -d | grep -e '^kde' | xargs emerge -Pp

and it worked fine.

Matt

Re: portage and software maintenance [ In reply to ]
J. Patrick Lanigan wrote:
> If I do this:
>
> # emerge -p depclean | grep / | sort > depclean.sorted
>
> ...and clean the output of dependancies, would it be safe to then append
> that to my world file? Or is there an automated way to fix my world
> file? Or...?

Well, I totally borked my system. I did what I describe above, and since
I have no need for acl on my single user system, I did *not* keep it in
the world file. So, depclean removed it. Just so everyone knows, if you
have never built coreutils (mine was left over from a stage3 install),
it depends on acl. Fortunately, I have a couple lesser boxes whose ls,
cp, mv, and install were built without acl. I copied those over and was
able to emerge coreutils.

Here is a nice thread I found on the forums:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=171464

In it I found the pruneworld script, which seems much safer than my bork
job ;)

-Patrick